1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 Gold Trap Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UGB25, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UGB25

UGB25 TS Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I'm interested in any feedback pros and cons on the Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Trap Shotgun. I considering purchasing one new from Able's.
  2. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Cody, WY
    Have had no issues with mine and I've been negligent on the cleaning end for a while. Darn nice shotgun for the money!

3. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

Jun 1, 2007
    when slammed closed it trips the voice releases
    pepper's squad mates with empties
    terrible trigger
    nuff said
  4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Yup, trigger kinda cheapo. Can be fixed, I've heard, via tuning, or upgrading to an all metal one from a 390 or 303. I'd guess that a conversion to release makes for one sweet trapgun. Consider closing bolt at an opportune time so targets not released, or close it gently and not letting bolt slam home.

These are, again, IMO, the "small block Chevy" of trapguns in today's world. Little felt recoil, strong quality for the money, nice looking, fun to shoot.
  5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I had a Beretta Gold Trap- sold it almost immediately-since you show a willingness to spend close to 4k on an auto loader I would recommend the following 1) buy a standard 391 trap gun with the 30 or 32" barrel what ever you like 2) send the gun to DeVault Industries for an Elite conversion 3) order a set of Wright's chokes--you now will have a gun that will shoot & point like no other for the price--the person who won the singles championship @ the Cardinal Classic used a DeVault conversion---I have a conversion as my backup gun.

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

Jan 29, 1998
    UGB25, the gun shoots well right out of the box, doesn't need any mods but you can trick it up if that is what you want.

Several Sporting Clays shooters use the 391 and are World Class shooters, Scott Robertson, Anthony Materasi Jr, several others...

Be advised the gun is a very flat shooting gun which is why the SC guys like it so much, even the Trap model version shoots flat...

One of the better shooters here on TS.com who goes by the name of Tron shoots a tricked out 391, DeVault adjustable rib I believe, PM him and I'm sure he can give you the real skinny on the Beretta 391...

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Feb 7, 2006
    rock port, mo
    i am not sure on px differance from one model to another, but we have had many 391 parrelel target 30"- px is around $1050, poi is 60/40% out of box. this wud rival a "regular" trap 391. all of them get the "green" modified choke put in.yes i do have some wright chokes but berettas arent that bad!! a plastic shell catcher on the side for $12-15, bolt release isnt really needed but nice for $60( angle port or briley or carey closure),by the way- closing the bolt when someone shoots will stop the rock throwing!! trigger job is common, if you are just starting off it probably aint that big of deal! yes we do have several with trigger work- angle port-cole-money makers all do great trigger jobs ,31/2 to 33/4# pull-cost is aroung $140. buy berettas recoil reducer that slips into the stock for $40. for the money -the 391 is the best value. my duaghter has been shooting one since 11yrs old !!!! resale is very very good!
    wally riebesell
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.