1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Beretta 391 gas port clogged

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kevboz, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

I cleaned my 391 for the first time last night in a while. It has been functioning fine. I shoot trap, skeet and SC. Well the 2 small gas ports in the barrell that exaust the gas into the piston were totally clogged. I had to use a metal tool to poke through it. My little pipe cleaner thing wouldn't even punch through. My question is... I always though it was sooo important to keep these ports clean for obvious reason. My gun hasn't had a problem cycling in a few thousand rounds.

any thoughts???

Kevin
  2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

sure. They were'nt as plugged as you thought.
  3. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

They weren't Partially clogged. Wasn't just a little bit of much. TOTALLY clogged
  4. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

One port on my 303 was clogged and I noticed that the gun did not cycle totally every time. Sometimes the action wouldn't open all the way and a shell would end up getting slammed into the corner of the ejection hole. I shoot very light target loads though 7/8 for singles and the first shot of doubles and a 1 oz for handicap so the gas assist may be more important for me. You may be using heavier loads and the recoil may be more than enough to cycle the gun. I used a 1/8 inch drill bit to unclog mine, worked great.
    Jason
  5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Well, if they were totally glogged, then no gas could have been directed down into the gas system, and the action wouldn't have cycled.

They weren't as glogged as you think.

Michael
  6. Easystreet

Easystreet Active Member

Kevin,

If your gun was cycling the bolt, then one or both of the gas ports was at least PARTIALLY open, whether you realized it or not. It wouldn't matter how much recoil the shell produced, if some gas weren't getting into the gas cylinder, then the empty would not eject and the bolt would not cycle.
  7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

I guess nothing short of a discourse on the operating characteristics of gas operated semi-automatic shotguns will change your mind......

If you feel your exhaust ports were indeed totally and completely plugged, I'd suggest a cracked barrel venting gas into your system allowing it to function normally....

Jim
  8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Maybe they were open before you cleaned but the carbon/oil/gunk from when you cleaned that area flooped down into the holes thus you now think they were totally clogged.

Seen it happen ... had it happen ... but never had any gun with totally clogged ports as you say continue to shoot. That would be about as impossible as a $2 worn out hooker working the docks of the US Navy shipyard on a Saturday night giving away freebies to all sailors who care to partake declaring herself a virgin the next morning ... it just aint possible.
  9. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

Ok Ok.. I get it.. next time I'll totally look. :)

anyway.. here is a pic I took with my new digital SLR. My first day with it on the skeet range. This was a high house from station 7. Notice the shot in the air before it hits the target. Very cool. Took about 80 shots to get one where I actually saw the pellets in mid air.
  10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ok ... so you hit the low house bird on the double but it looks like your low on the high house bird but might have gotten it with the edge of the pattern, nice picture though. Thanks for sharing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.