1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 gas cylinder sheared off

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

My 11 year old grandaughter has been shooting a Beretta 391 for about 6 months. She's put about 1k rounds through it and has had the gas cylinder shear off on two different barrels. Shears off right through where it's welded or braised to the bottom of the barrel. She shoots regular target loads and was shooting Top Guns both times when it broke. Has anyone seen this problem with their Berettas?

rm

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

First I've ever heard of. I did have the pistons break on all three 391's I've owned.

3. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Could be a defect with this one gun... Something could be of specs as far as alignment goes.

4. bevolt

bevolt Member

Sounds like a frozen forend cap,

"I am aware of several cases (I’m sure there are more) in which a gas cylinder broke off a barrel because the moving parts inside the cap had corroded and locked up."

Check this tutorial, http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=176788&sid=689a522a1b0613284d19081f98d71bac

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've seen it a few times. Call Beretta and then send the gun back to them. They'll act like it's the first time they've ever heard of it, but this was not that uncommon, especially the Mobil Choked barrels. They will more than likely try to get you to pay for it first, but if you are persistant, they will likely fix it for free. CHECK THE FOREARM very carefully for cracks!

Jb

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

That warning should be engraved on the barrel! Hah!

7. bevolt

bevolt Member

Yeah, that thing would give Ruben Goldberg nightmares. Just finished disassembling/cleaning the one on a used 391 parallel trap that I purchased. It was full of gooey crud, the metal is corroded, some of the stainless steel parts were stuck inside the cap. I gave up trying to get them out... :mad:

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Don't despair you can get Anti-seize lubricant or, better yet, buy a Briley replacement cap and you headaches are over!

9. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I dont see a briley replacement cap on their website just the cylinder, am I missing something?

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Angleport used to make a replacement xap.

Phil Berkowitz

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

here is a link to the briley caps

http://www.briley.com/berettaweights.aspx

and the angleport ones

http://www.angleport.com/endcaps.asp?C=372667

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.