1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 for Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2barrelpa, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2barrelpa

2barrelpa TS Member

I want a semi-auto for trap & have been looking at the Beretta 391's.
    I see they make a 30" & a 32" trap barrel.
    Is there really any differance between the 30" & the 32"?
    I hear that the TS Shell Catcher works well for trap.

The other gun I like is the Benelli Super Sport but TS doesn't make a shel catcher for it.

Anyone that can give me some feedback that has shot the semi-auto for trap.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Beretta 32 is a good choice. Benelli is ok for hunting but not trap

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Either the 30" or the 32" will work for you. It's an individual preference. The club here has the 391s for their rental guns. No complaints so far. If you want one in parallel comb (trap), call me.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

4. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I use a 391 Teknys Trap 30" and love it. Was and still am a Rem 1100 lover, but this gun works very well for me and the felt recoil is remarkably low.

Chris

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

I had a 391 and sold it. Could not shoot a round of doubles with this gun without the gun jamming up. Would not chamber the second shell. Got tired of fooling with it and sold the gun.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

here is a common mistake made when comparing beretta and benelli- you have to know your models and POI!- looking at a trap and then sport benelli is not an even comparison. personally i think the beretta 391 parallel target/ 30" is a great choice, it will shoot a 60% POI with shimms to shoot higher. the other choice if you wanted to not spend quite as much money and shoot a good used gun , is a beretta 302 or 303 trapw/ 30"-- i have one as-new 391 32" and 3 303 trap you may want to consider! please email me if you want more info and pictures- or welcome to call 660-744-4115 wally riebesell

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Had a 391 Parallel Target for a few months...too many functional problems starting with the first time I put it together. Lots of jams even with new shells. Sold it for $150 loss. Many like 391s...but did Not work for me. Regards, Ed

8. acss

one thing i forgot to mention- i see people go to the "big box" sporting stores who usually carry sporting models, promoted as claybird guns-- which is true, but they shoot too flat for the game of trap. meaning poi is probably 6-8" lower on a sport gun------ maybe we are getting complicated on a simple question but thats the nature of the TS forum ???? wally riebesell

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The Benelli Sport is not a trap gun, doesn't shoot high enough, no shell catcher, marginal trigger. Even the new Beretta Trap only shoots a 80/20 POI at best. The Comb adjustment system is plastic junk. I've only had cycling problems with the cheap steel Federal hulls. I'd do the Beretta 391 trap or a used 390, 303 etc. It can be used on sporting, skeet, hunting, and doubles.

10. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have a 391 trap model that I have had pretty good luck with. It has a 30" barrel, and I use an IM choke tube. I have the TS shell catcher that also covers the release button, and it works well for both catching the spent shell and making it easier on your thumb or finger, to release the bolt to chamber a shell. I have shot a 32" trap model, and the extra 2" seems to smooth out your swing somewhat.

If you have the opportunity, you should try out a 391 trap, and see how you like it. It seems like that is the best way to evaluate the gun.

Good luck, Rodbuster.

11. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

2barrelpa, I'm still new into my trap career and shoot a 390, and 391 Urika. I got my Beretta 390 w/parallel stock,30" fixed full trap barrel doing some trading with Wally and haven't regretted it once. I like my 391, but love my 390 hands down. The trigger on my 390 seems so crisp, and love that parallel stock. The above web address you may know is Tron. He really helped me in setting up my beretta with how to use the shims, and a welded on deflector now I can shoot doubles w/o getting cussed. lol. Soon he'll be getting my 391 shell carrier to bend on. He's a great guy to deal with if you need anything. Best regards Todd.

12. twopipe

twopipe Member

I have had 3 391's. didn't really like the trap version much. I liked the 390 & the 303 trap models I had better. The 391 is no fun to clean, or take apart. Beretta blew it on this one as a trap gun, imho

13. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I have a 391, probaly had 10,000 rounds threw it, only problem was the after market release trigger, broke several times. There is not a better semiauto out there. I have a 390 20 ga. two 390 12 ga. that I hunt with, would not want to shoot any thing else.

14. acss

nice talking on the phone- i sent you 2 emails wally riebesell

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have three 391's, one a 28" hunting gun and a 30" and 32" trap models. To shoot trap I like the 32" but I like longer barrels and weight forward guns for trap. No functioning problems with any of the four to date. However I don't use the traps at all and the hunting one not enough to matter.

What I do like even with owning the Berettas are 1100's. I like the way they feel and move for me incomparison. There are several 12 ga and one 20 in my assortment. If it was between a Beretta and an 1100 for me to win with, the 1100 would easily get the nod. Many complain of 1100 functional problems and maintenance. Iam not to lazy to clean a gun and really an 1100 doesn't take that long to break down. Parts are cheap and easily learned when one needs replaced.

If your buying one to use then I would borrow a 303, 390, 391 and an 1100 and shoot a couple hundred rounds with each. Then decide which feels and works best for you. They are tools of the trade and one is not more special than another unless they acheive the desired outcome your seeking. To me they all have there own uniqueness and to each a possible different result.

16. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Yep - a good choice!

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

When you get your 391 and if it has an adjustable comb then send it to TRON and he will take out the plastic adjustable junk and put in a excellent system in place of it.

Don

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Actually, just call TRON and ask him the question. He is a great resource for the 39X's and can give you the straight scoop on the + and -'s of the guns.

He may be opinionated about the guns, but he will give you an honest assessment..

Jim

19. kolartarget

kolartarget Member

I bought a 391 teknys sporting model and yes they shoot to flat for trap so I sent it to Dennis Devault for a 391 elite conversion with upgraded american black walnut have not seen it yet but sure I will like it I havent seen anything but awesome stuff come out of his shop I will post some pics when I get it back oh by the way you dont have to do a complete conversion to get poi where you want it he has a free floating rib design that is second to none

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They work, and are fun to shoot. If you shoot a lot of ATA doubles you might look to a hinge gun for keeping it simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
trap guns 391
391 berettatrap guns
391berretatrapguns
beretta 391 as first trap gun
beretta 391 auto
beretta 391 for trap

beretta 391 trap

used beretta 391 tenex trap gun