1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 for Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jls7522, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jls7522

jls7522 Member

up

2. Frye

Frye TS Member

Never shot one.. but i do see a alot of them at the cubs I shoot and I always make sure I'm on the left side of one. They can fling the hell out of a hull.

They seem like they smack the crap outta them targets, but for what they cost new in my home town, You could get a very nice Used O/E for the same money.

For autoloaders.. My vote goes to Remington but I wouldn't pass up on a Beretta for the right price either.

3. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

I shot a 391 urika optima trap in league for 2 years. It served me well, I was averaging around 90% in handycap with it. For singles and handycap the shell catcher took care of the shells bothering the guy to my right.

I have one for sale on here. It is a sporting clays model but I stared shooting trap with it and it was fine. I went with a trap 391 and always felt it shot to high for me.

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

There's a fella here named TRON who shoots a pretty good game with a Beretta. My guess is he will show up shortly.

Steve

5. jdomas

jdomas Member

I used a 391 trap for two years and had a 94 avg in singles and made the 2006 VA mens team (2nd team) with it. It is a great gun and I never had a problem with it except that it chucked hulls on people 2 stations over.

John D.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Steve and Mr. Charles. Anyway, yes they are great guns but they don't have that "out of the box" feel that a lot of people experience with Remingtons. Most of the time, adjustments are needed and time at a patterning board is time WELL spent.

For a lot of shooters, they may require cast/drop changes that are not met with factory shims. You can cast or drop that stock as much as you need to as long as the recoil tube does not contact the inner walls of the stock....this takes some time with disc sanders, but not a big deal.

Here is a shim on my own project gun that I've set up for maximum cast:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1141.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1269.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here, you can see the cast of the stock a little better:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1317.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here's a deflector nub:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1263-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

I have a 391 urika parallel trap. I would like Tron to advise of whether his deflector nub is permanent, can be best done by himself, how to mail my 32"bbl, cost, address, and what I can expect out of it, and what his turnaround time is, and whether my local gunsmith can do. I presume it is midway between nothing and a shell catcher in what it provides.
    Tron, please respond to my home email.
    Thank you very much.
    John

8. jerry chipman

jerry chipman Member

You won't be offending your fellow shooters on the right after Tron puts the nub on your barrel, the price is right and the turn around time is very fast. You'll be happy with this feature and as Tron told me about my barrel, all I needed to do was a little fine tuning with a file to get it just right for my reloads. He has done two barrels for me and all I can say is it's Great and thanks Tron. Jerry

9. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I just got my 391 PT back from Tron. He put the barrel nub on it and I got a chance to shoot it yesterday. A good job and it works great.

I have owned 4 391's and think they are very good guns. I have seen some people shoot some very good scores with them.

I use mine for skeet, hunting and as a backup to my dedicated trap gun.

Try one I think you will like it.

Jerry Walker

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Piddy, on one 391 that I have, I bent the tube (not a whole lot) and the rod would bind up in the tube at times. I bent it back and hogged out a little more inside the stock, doubled up a couple of shims and modified the washer. That worked great. As far as the deflector, I've looked at it a lot of different ways and there just isn't enough metal to drill the hole where it's needed. Welding it can be a little hairy, but as long as you have the voltage and wire speed figured out, not so bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.