1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 for Skeet?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tweintraub, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweintraub

tweintraub Member

I have a couple of Beretta 391's that I use for Trap. I attempted a few rounds of Skeet this weekend with mixed results. The folks I was shooting with were shooting O/U with much shorter barrels. My barrel is 30" and I have extended chokes.

Question...is the Beretta 391 a good skeet gun? Is a shorter barrel better for skeet? Is there such a thing as a Beretta skeet barrel?

Thanks T.I.

2. fly

fly Active Member

The 391 works fine for skeet, as does the 390. Barrel length is a preference, and a 30 will work fine for skeet.

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I shoot my 32" in int'l skeet. Not like you need 2 different chokes for skeet. Swing away!

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

30" bbl is fine for skeet. If your guns are trap models set up to pattern high, that could be a problem. I have seen folks use trap models quite successfully by floating the targets.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

TI, just put in a skeet choke and your good to go!!! You should not have any problems with your gun. Just have some fun and break em all JEff

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

It is EXCELLENT for skeet, especially the parallel target model...one of the preferred set-ups for 12 gauge skeet. Try to find a 28" Trap bbl off a youth gun. Also, a great sporting clays gun.

WNCRob

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

WNCRob;
    My Parallel Target shoots about 60/40 so I have never tried it for skeet. I do like the gun for sporting clays.

8. Nutso

Nutso Member

303, 390, 391 are all excellent skeet guns, and attend any NSSA event and you will see them in use. Wayne Mayes who is quite possibly the best skeet shooter of all time shoots a 303 in the 12g and doubles event.

You will also notice that many skeet shooters are going to higher shooting guns, this keeps the target above the barrel at all times. I know of several shooters who shoot the 391 parallel comb as well, it allows for the "heads up style" that is becoming popular.

9. tweintraub

tweintraub Member

Everyone..thanks for the update and comments. I have renewed faith in my gun! Cheers T.I.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You might see if someone who has a 26" bbl might let you borrow it for a round...you might find it really helps..or not..but you will learn from it before you put out any more money to up your game...I personally love the 26" as I can move it more briskly for fast shots both in skeet and sporting..thats just me though

11. sebaka

sebaka Member

TI Set your gun to shoot where you are pointing. If you have a factory stock with shims they may need to be changed to insure you are shooting where the gun is pointing. Barrel length is your preference. I have shot 28" 30" and 32" barrels in my 391's with parallel target stock. Same results... 25 straights. It is a excellent gun for skeet, doubles. Also, I shoot a heavy gun. It is weghted from stock to forearm which allows a smoother swing and reduces muzzle jump. 60/40 pattern is optimal for skeet. I just purchased another 391 parallel target URIKA 2 Gold, 32" step rib barrel. Put the weights in the gun got it set up and smoked the the first 25 with the Optima skeet choke. Gotta shoot the IC and MOD to see how good those choke will perform. My opinion; the 391 is one of the best semi-autos on the market. Very versatile gun that can be set-up for the different venus without too much additional expense. Here is a pic of the twins I should not have sold.....Seller Remorse Again. Good luck with your 391.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 20 gauge for skeet

beretta 391 choke for sporting clays

beretta 391 for skeet

beretta 391 skeet

beretta 391 skeet choke

beretta 391 sporting clays choke
berreta 391 best choke for clay targets
is a beretta 391 good for sporting clays and skeet