1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 for doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdomas, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdomas

jdomas Member

Used one for 3 years. Never made AA but did well. Just keep it clean so you don't hang up loading the 2nd shot.

John D.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I watched a guy shoot a round of skeet using a SMLE Enfield rifle in .410 last night. so I don't see why you can't use a 391 successfully for doubles trap.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I used to, Yes, you can do well if you can keep it running flawlessly. I grew tired of the cleaning and occaisional malfunctions. In a game of perfection, I believed it to be distracting for more than one reason, for me and my squad.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I LOVE my 391 but.... you need mechanical triggers. You are guaranteed the 2nd. Misfire, hangup, etc... is bad news.

Stick with a O/U with mechanical triggers if you are shooting for score.

Shooting for fun... doesn't matter then.

5. archangel

archangel Member

My 391 for sporting would not feed the 2nd shell consistantly, cole gunsmithing replaced the carrier with one from another model and it now appears to work fine, because of this I am now considering buying a beretta 391 parallel target for singles and doubles

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have been shooting the tekneys 391 for 5 years, had trouble with second shell feed, through some good advise from this web site, Tron in perticular, I got a 390 carrier and had it installed on the 391, problem resolved and now shooting A class doubles.

It ain't the gun!

7. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

I have a 390 that won A class doubles at the Grand about 7 years ago. It has a Moneymaker trigger (very smooth), forcing cone removed, ported and a mercury recoil reducer in the stock and forend. It has been very reliable for doubles. Maybe the 390 carrier loads the second shell better than the 391.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

larry, all. Yes, the carrier was a most aggravating problem with the new (at the time) 391's. I believe that was the solution, replacing with the older carrier, or, a new re-designed one. Once that was taken care of, they worked fine.

Jim C

9. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I have in the past however now I use a over/under. Makes things a whole lot easier

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Wow....So many complaints about the reliability of the infamous 391...Buy a Browning! I never had to do a damn thing to my Gold to make it reliable! No carrier replacements nothing....13 years without one malfunction should say it all! I do keep me gun clean though....

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Luckyman,

How many rounds would you say have been shot through this Browning weekly and annually?

12. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Expect numerous jams with this POS

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Hey Luckyman the Browning is a Beretta 303 clone they purchased the parts from Beretta and called them Brownings I see lots of Browning barrels on Beretta 303's basicaly the same gun.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The feed problem started with the 391 carrier they made it straight and it did not work very well. The older triggers all had a bent tip on the carrier and 391 guys just put the old carrier on their trigger problem solved. I heard Tron has a jig to bend the carrier on the straight carriers solves the problem. I heated one up and bent it up and it is working very well just not pretty but works fine.

15. fly

fly Active Member

what would someone need mechanical triggers for in Trap Doubles?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.