1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 doubling????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by over the hill, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Anyone ever have a 391 double??

My son shot a round of Int. at the Cardinal shoot and he swears the gun fired twice with one pull of the trigger.

My thought is he flinched and pulled it twice.

A neighbor of mine called it full auto and said its not uncommon on 391.

I know a lot of people on this web shoot 391s, any thoughts....Help Tron

Regards...Gerald

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

never heard of it but the only reason it could possibly happen is the firing pin sticking or the firing pin return spring broken allowing pin to project too far forward and getting stuck in the hole in the bolt face...of course you made the gun squeeky clean so crud cannot be the blame..right??

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon and it's not full auto. What happens is that after the first shot the gun jumps and the trigger finger relaxes enough to reset but stays on the trigger.The recoil of the gun causes the trigger to pull the trigger again firing the second shot. It occurs so quickly that is seems the gun is firing both shots at the same time. Of course, it's two separate shots. It's called "machine-gunning" as opposed to "doubling" which is only
    possible with a double-barreled gun.
    In my case, it occurred with a release trigger. I would release the trigger and then bump it, which would set and release it a second time almost instantaneously.
    The way to prevent this from occuring is to maintain a firm grip on the gun. A heaavier trigger pull will also help prevent "machine-gunning"

4. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

Any chance that someone else you know has a 391 to change out the trigger groups?

There is zero doubt in my mind that at some point the trigger group can start doubling as its happened to my main 391. It would double about 3 of 4 times per 50 pairs of sporting clay targets. This is of course about 25,000 rounds into its use, but obviously has regular cleaning.

I tried to clean it more, made sure that it wasn't too oiled or something that would cause slippage... it still would double about 1 in 15-20 chances.

Thinking that I was crazy and was somehow bringing this on myself... I took the trigger group from my backup gun and it has not happened in 5000+ rounds. I did shoot the original trigger group into my backup gun and the darn thing STILL doubled. Long story short... ponied up the money for a new trigger group from Coles ($150) and am done with it. Figuring the time/money it costs to ship it back and forth for repair it wouldn't be far from the price of a new one.

Hope this helps.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I bet it's a broken hammer brace.....fairly common and easy to fix. Always replace hammer braces in pairs, afterall, the one that isn't broken has just as many rounds on it and may be next to fail.

Joe

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I think I would check the firing pin spring, sometimes it will break and screw into itself, making it short. GOOD LUCK

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Worn trigger sear. I had this happen to one after we tried to take some of the slack out of their notoriously long trigger pull. A little more adjustment by a competetent gunsmith eliminated the problem!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.