1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 discontinued true or false

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Shooter at the club said the 391 is no more Beretta discontinued them for the new 400 gun. I hope this is not true. If true some one at Beretta has lost their mind.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Yes, this is true. The 391 is a ten+ year old model, and it was time for something new. So far, the 400 has gotten good reports. However, the 391 will be around for a long time. There are great shooters who are still shooting their 303's.
    Me. I'll give up my 391 when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

3. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

And there is NO trap model at this time!!

4. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Hopefully, they have improved the gas system? This is the first time I've heard about the A400 but the 391 is a heartbreaker. I've bought and sold a bundle of them. When they stop cycling, I sell them

5. beretta1340

beretta1340 TS Member

Well then I am glad I got mine when I did. My 391 Urika 2 field is the sweetest shooting shotgun I have ever shot. One year down and not a single malfunction.

6. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I have heard there are still quite a few in inventory however.

7. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

barf ing, the name is sportshot, answer, neither one of the above.

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

The 400 shares parts with the Benelli (Beretta bought Benelli) it is a way of cutting costs and selling an inferior (cheaper to manufacture) gun at the same or higher price....

Beretta has been going downhill for awhile....cheapening their products, cutting corners and increasing price...

Smart people will look for 391 closeouts and buy two......

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A400 has a super-crappy trigger and a lot of plastic. So far, I'm not impressed the least and I'm glad I have 303's and 391's in the safe.

10. FIB

FIB Member

I personally prefered the 303 and 390 to the 391 but thats just me.

11. Dickgshot

My 391 once failed to cycle the second shell. It was in 2009..or maybe 2008, I'm not sure.

12. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I have not yet owned a Urika II and now that they are discontinued... with only trash in the line to follow behind them I will get one. I have owned at least six, maybe eight during my sporting clays and skeet era. I shoot left handed and hold the gun light. My theory regarding malfunctions is due to my shooting style.

Yes, I know guys that have shot 75,000 rounds and never cleaned them, never had a jam, (never missed a target -- so they say... ha, ha). That has not been my experience! But they are the very best, best GUN for sporting ever made. Light and fast and balanced. I always wind up feeling this way and go out and buy another one, just to have my heart broken once again.

But, THANKS for the news~

13. Dickgshot

There are only two things that will cause a failure-to-feed problem in a 391 - and being dirty is not one of them:

(1)failure to replace the straight carrier that came with the gun with the
    390 style "bent" carrier that should have come with the gun.

(2)hold the gun lightly.

Also, some models of the gun do indeed never (or hardly ever) miss a target.
    Anthony Matarese Jr. has one, as does Scott Robertson and Theo Ribbs.

I don't have that model.

14. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Barfing.... the fair haired good marksman, ha,ha,ha.... dude, you really should not post on TS.COM drunk. Many have found that out the hard way.

Dick, you cut me to the quick. My light hold on a shotgun is the best way,... ummm, or is it not?

Now I have something to think about over the weekend.

15. Dickgshot

Sportshot,
    The only time I have a failure to feed is when the gun gets loose in my hands or I don't get it firmly into my shoulder. I think that's true of every auto. Even though it's not recoil operated, the 391 needs to be solidly mounted for the bolt to cycle properly every time.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Reading with amusement while I wipe down my 1100 and 1187 trap guns.

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Being a true blue 1100/11-87 Remmy guy I'm not gonna bash them, I can't. Many years if field success and fun that still lasts even today.

I shoot skeet and sporting with Beretta autos. Found the fit and adjustability, weight and balance, recoil = lack of, them to be far superior to any Remington or anything Remington has going. Any target auto Remmy has is just a glorified field gun. A great field gun at that.

Cycling problems don't exist with my 391's. Thousands of rounds thru them not a box or two than put in a safe or closet. I know I'm not gonna replacing elevators just for the shits of it or because of a few posts. I believe some carrier issues are self brought on by owners not understanding or improper release of it and they are forcing them. I've heard all about the break-in on Berettas was to shoot 3" and heavy field shell at first, that's pure Bulls#!^.
    If I was going to see cycling problems it would have been long before now.

Any Beretta auto owner or owners that are not mechanically inclined should do theirself a favor and buy SEAMUS'S users/owners manual. You'll educate yourself about your gun and keep it out of the gunsmiths shop or the Maryland factory location.

18. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Buddy,
    It would not be the first time that someone in authority at Beretta lost their corporate mind. Witness the 682 Gold E and Silver Pigeon series. Both were brought back into production. The 400 is supposed to replace the 391 as their trap model but will the shooting public really want to pay another $300.00 to $400.00 more for the 400? I don't think so. Time will tell.
    Mike Battista

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Find a good Super-X Model 1! The best of the best!!

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Now that is funny Barfin. :D LMAO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.