1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 differences?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Patrick Riley, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley TS Member

I've been planning on getting a 391 soon, but I can't decide which one due to the differences. I'm 19 and occasionally shoot trap with my family. We only do it with the portable throwers and not at clubs so i'm not really looking for an insane competition gun, but would obviously like any advantages I can have. I've been leaning towards the Beretta AL391 URIKA 2 that www.budsgunshop.com has on sale for $734. I like the synthetic for hunting situations and such although the main purpose is trap. I can't decide if I want the wood stocked version with the parallel stock and 30 inch barrel or not. Is it that much better for trap? And is the rib on that version raised higher than on the synthetic 28 inch barrel? It kind of looked like it in the pics. Similar to how the Benelli's are? Also does it matter which chamber I get? I know the 3 inch is for trap and I'll prolly never shoot 3 1/2" mags in it, but was just wondering how much it matters. Sorry for all of the questions. Basically i'd rather have the synthetic version but want to know if the other is that much better for what i'll be doing? I'd much rather spend $730 than $1000+ unless it's really worth it.

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'd suggest that you get the synthetic version with the 28" barrel. It's a very good and very versatile gun that will break any target that any other gun (regardless of cost) will break.

Once you've had it a year or two and fired several thousand rounds through it, you'll be able to decide whether you want to keep shooting it or get another more specialized gun.

Easystreet

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

At 4000 to 5000 rounds, those guns are just getting broken in. Other than a good cleaning and replacement of the recoil spring and perhaps the magazine spring, there shouldn't be anything else needed provided it has been properly cared for. What kind of problems did you have with the guns at 4K to 5K rounds?

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

You state that the main purpose of this gun is trap shot off of a hand cocking thrower, right?

If it was me, and yes I do recoment these guns, I would buy the 30 barrel with the wooden parallel comb. You asked.

Tom Strunk

5. Erik W

Erik W Member

I have been looking at 391's myself and there are really a lot of variations. Should I seek out Optima or optima plus chokes or are MC's ok? Will a "field gun" shoot lighter loads 1oz or 7/8? Parallel comb? 28" or 30"? How can you distinguish a field gun from a SC or Trap gun on the used gun rack? does it make any difference. Are they usually cast off for right handers like 680 guns?

6. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley TS Member

Tom, yes the main purpose will be for shooting trap off of a hand cocking thrower. However I would like to shoot at a club sometime.

Would be great if there was a synthetic verision with a 30" barrel and raised comb but there's not so i'm forced to pick! I know if i get that nice wood stock that i'll cry when it gets its first ding. But I suppose after its character builds up a little and its "newness" goes away it wont bother me as much.

Anyways, next question..
    If I were to get the Parallel target, which chamber should I get? Will the 3 1/2" chamber function as well as the 3" with trap loads? And I don't remember, but I read somewhere about some versions of the 391's having a wider rib than others? Someone said the wider one was better?

I really appreciate everyones help. I got laid off a month ago have only been working part time since. I had a shotgun fund going and its up to around $800 for now. Part time work isn't allowing me to contribute as much with gas prices and everything so i'll have to keep saving for a little while longer for the parallel. I have no problem waiting if i'm going to get what will make me happier. Still not sure which direction i'll go. I did like Easystreets idea so thats something else to think about.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

MR Ducks is right on. The only other and a bettr choice is a 302 303

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.