1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All!

I was cleaning a Beretta 391 this week after shooting some Federal shells. Inside the forend was unbelievably dirty. I put some Hoppes on a paper towel and cleaned it all out. I got to thinking this might not be the best solvent to use on the inside of the forend. I got the impression that I should not use any oil near the gas piston so I am wondering what would be the best thing to clean there in the future?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Fred

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

see link above. That is everything you will ever need to know about a 391. Mark

3. deadnout

deadnout Member

great article. i just picked up 391 sporting 20 ga. now i can clean it when need be.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You should really buy the manual written by the gentleman referred to in the above post. If you own a beretta 390 or 391 it will tell you everything you need to know.

One thing it doesn't tell you, however, is that you really don't need to clean a 391 very often. A coating of a teflon oil - particularly Breakfree CLP will keep the gun working smoothly and prevent a hard to remove carbon buildup.
    A little oil on the gas piston won't do any harm either. I clean my 391
    no more than once every 5,000 rounds -or about three times a year. It never jams and always cycles perfectly. I shoot only factory loads, so reloads may require a little more cleaning than that - I don't know.

Unless you're think there's something immoral about not cleaning your gun
    regularly, just shoot it and enjoy, and clean it once in a while when it's convenient.

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

dickgtax is correct! I think many people over clean the 391. Break-Free will keep one running for 3000-5000 rounds with no problem. If you ever visit Shotgunworld, there is a fellow there who hasn't cleaned his 391 in years with 50-75 thousand rounds through it.....he uses Break-Free and runs the gun wet.

I currently have a gun that has around 5000 rounds through it with no cleaning other than barrel bore, end cap, and trigger. I spray Break-Free where it is needed and let it rip.

I must also mention that Seamus's book is a must have if you own a 391. If you own a 391, buy the book! It will be the best $20 or $25 you will ever spend. I must say after owning several 391's, Seamus's book, and a few tools.........I will never own a target over/under again. The 391 is super reliable, moves with ease, and DOES NOT RECOIL! On the Sporting Clays course, in my opinion; the 391 is the best sporting gun on planet earth.

6. 3220

3220 Member

Hello All,

Thanks so much for the input on the 391 cleaning. I plan to put the reference book that was recommended on order today.

Again, thanks for all your responses!

Fred

7. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

CLP Breakfree and shoot it wet, done deal.

Tron advised me about this and have been happy ever since. When you do clean it after a while, it just basically wipes clean, great stuff CLP Breakfree.

8. Seamus O'Caiside

Seamus O'Caiside Active Member

Thank you for the kind words about my Beretta manual.

I agree that Beretta semiautomatics don't need cleaning very often - as a generality - usually - BUT ...

The OP said he has been shooting Federal ammo. I found Federal promo loads (Top Gum, Target & Field, etc) to be the filthiest ammo I ever tried to shoot! I used to shoot a lot of them in an O/U (they are reliable and pattern well) but when I switched to a 391 I had a lot of malfunctions due to huge amounts of ash and unburned powder. I even found a tablespoon full of that crap inside the recoil spring tube! Who would guess it could get in there? It gets everywhere and fouls up everything. I needed to clean my gun after a few hundred shells. With most other brands, it will go tens of thousands of shells with no malfunction.

I no longer shoot Federals. I have heard that Estates are the same thing, but I haven't tried them.

I use Breakfree CLP and shoot it wet. Any decent solvent and lubricant will do, but never use gun oil on the wood. Gun oil is a mineral oil, and wood needs an organic oil like linseed or tung. Mineral oils will eventually (over a period of years) make the wood soft and "punky". That's why many shooters store their guns muzzle-down: it keeps excess oil from running off the action into the wood. The makers of Breakfree CLP say it is OK on wood.

9. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Seamus knows, that's for sure - purchase the brochure if you shoot the 391.

Robert Paxton also knows the 391 and has been under the Beretta sponsorship for a long time. He told me to lube the rails, bolt and bolt/slide with a Q-tip and shoot it dry. I've followed his advice and clean it about every 5 flats - works perfect. The best auto ever made.

10. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

piston wet or receiver action wet or both?

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Thank you Seamus! I didn't know that about my 391!

12. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Only lube the trigger group, bolt and bolt/slide, rails - everything else dry.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. Here's mine: A light coat of Breakfree CLP on everything (except the wood, of course.) That includes the magazine tube, piston - inside and out - gas valve and spring.
    First of all, chances are wherever you put the oil, it's going to spread to other parts. Secondly, anyplace that carbon will accumulate needs a little oil to prevent the carbon residue from adhering. I hardly ever have to clean out the gas vent holes in the barrel because the carbon residue apparently
    never gets hard enought to block the holes.

These are my results doing the above. The gun was bought new in 2005, 8 years ago. I figure I've got about 100,000 rounds through the gun. Since putting in the 390 carrier, virtually no malfunctions. Broken parts: one locking block,
    one trigger spring, two connecting rods. It has the original factory piston, though I've had a spare in my tool box for eight years. As I've said before, I clean it infrequently. I've replaced the recoil spring about three times, but
    I don't think it needed it.

I shoot only factory loads,including Federal Top Gun and Estates, mostly one ounce, 1180 to 1210 fps. I don't claim to be an expert. This is just my own experience.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil for your guns, leather, and wood ... The best don't get any better ... Try it you will like it ... (www.clenzoil.com) ask them for a free sample ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleaning a beretta 491

391 cleaning tools
beretta 391 cleaning tools
cleaning a 391 berretta
cleaning beretta 391
tools for beretta 391
urika 391 cleaning