1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391- Barrel Splits

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by glenn mcleod, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Sunday at our club a young lady I was shooting with had her forearm split which isn't all that unusual but upon futher examination it was found that the reason the forearm split was the barrel had split in a half moon around the bottom of the barrel approx. where the forcing cone would end. She was shooting 1 oz Estate factory loads. Has Anyone seen this with the 391 before? It has to be metal fatigue or poor design in that area of the barrel. If I'm not mistaken I believe all 391's will shoot 3" mag's so this is very strange. Remington of course wants the barrel. Glenn

2. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I would imagine they will want to test the metal, they will want to see if someone has altered the original bore diameter, etc. I'm sure this is not the first one that has split. glenn

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I think what Pukey means is why would REMINGTON want a BERETTA gun?

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I think what Pukey means is why would REMINGTON want a BERETTA gun?

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

sorry about the double post

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

K-Gun maybe,never a Beretta. GOOD LUCK

7. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Sorry about that,I meant Beretta wanted the barrel. Glenn

8. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Not the same club where the K-80s blow up is it? Considering how many 390-391`s have ben sold and shot; one could have a metal defect in ONE. Or the shell?

9. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Remington would want the Beretta barrel to show the defects. It's a marketing thing.

10. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Beretta was great for her. They air expressed a new 32" trap barrel out which she asked for if they would permit. The old sporting barrel broke on Sunday and she had a new barrel on Friday so she can shoot tomorrow in Detroit Lakes, Mn. I would say they "did good". Enjoy the weekend. Glenn McLeod

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Did the gun make an unusually loud noise when she fired the shot that split the barrel or did everything sound normal? It would be interesting to examine the empty shell that she fired immediately BEFORE the shot that blew it up. Did the previous shot sound normal? Did she break the target with that shot?

There is a good chance, IMO, that someone lengthened the forcing cone on that barrel. Some of the aftermarket barrel "gurus" will take the forcing cone out to 5" in length which is too long for safety, IMO.

12. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

The shot sounded normal, I was standing next to her. The only thing she thought happened was the forearm had split. She used another club gun to finish the event and it wasn't until later when she tried to put the new forearm on that she realized the barrel had split. The gun was totally "stock" from the factory and the shells were new 1 oz factory 8's. Hopefully Beretta will let her know what they find. I'm sure the barrel was weak or thin in that area. glenn

13. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Sorry for bashing Berretta, but being a 25 year 300,000+ round shooter of Remington 1100s, I am so sick and tired of hearing how "superior" Berettas, and other eurautos are supposed to be compared to my "tuna fish can" 1100.

These $1,000 to $1,800 eurautos have their fair share of problems, many in somewhat new condition, too! Compared to my $350-$500 worth 30 year old 1100s -
    I'd rate my 1100 far superior to the Berettas, Benellis and the Browning Golds
    with a qtr million rounds before anything major like a receiver or barrel crack
    developed.

I'm aware of problems with all of these B guns. I have a friend who had his bolt SHATTER on his Browning Gold and the gun was practically new when it happened. The Beretta barrel splits, stress cracks and other problems are well
    documented and retrievable on other sites. (Plus - if you ever saw a Beretta
    stripped down, you'd see enough gas system parts for TWO 1100s and an M-1A!
    I mean, a valve, a valve spring, a valve nut, a valve "counter" nut, a valve
    shaft and a valve "centering" ring? .....wtf??? were they trying to make a freakin' FAL out of this gun? compared to an 1100: A piston/piston seal plus a rubber O-ring to seal gas in and prevent it from blowing out the other way. Simple.

Then there is the recoil issue - but I won't get into that.

I hope this gun gets fixed for free and I hope Beretta pulls their corporate heads out of their corporate butts and realize they have been sitting on their laurels for a generation now. I've owned two Beretta 682s - one combo and one Sporting clays O/U. Among the five different barrels in that pair - I could never get two to pattern within two feet of another. Beretta's reply: "It's within our specs" WTF is that? "within specs" my ass. The Marines have a standing ordnance depot order to replace slides and frames on the M-9s (model 92F) every 1,250 rds because they crack and have sent the slides flying off the frame into the face of the shooter! I've seen a brand new Berretta 92 crack its frame on the range for a local CT police officer and I used to own a
    "21-A" .22 LR pistol whose frame cracked after 400 rds of standard long rifle ammo. The slide popped off the frame due to the cracks that developed!

Sorry for the rant, but I think Berretta makes some of the shittiest guns out
    there - especially for the money paid. They are resting on the laurels of their earlier success and people "drink the kool aid" and think they're great
    when in reality, they suck. Again, I hope the gun is repaired and I hope Berretta gets their act together.

14. m70win

m70win Member

Ya and I bought a $300 1100 mag barrel that the choke was installed so crooked you had to aim 2' to the right. I sent it back to the factory and the replacement shoots 1' to the other side. I love my 1100 but am not impressed with there screw in choked barrels.

Tim

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I HAVE AN 1100 THAT WILL STAND 34 GRAINS OF 700x WITH A 1 1/8 CHARGE OF SHOT. wHAT A BOOM. i HADF A DOUBEL CHARGE, gUN IS STILL BEING USED, BUT i FIXED THE LOADER PROBLEM WITH A DOUBLE SPRING.

16. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

m70win - I'm with you on the choke tube bbls. They suck. The old fixed chokes were AWESOME

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, now, good guns are good guns and defective ones are just that. At a local skeet club, in 3 weeks between incidents, we had two 1100s blow barrels and receiver, both shooting light, factory skeet loads. Both were old enough but we suspected no inappropriate alterations from these hunter types. We couldn't find any likelihood of a blocked barrel or anything. Some guns just have had enough and will fail....breakemall....Bob Dodd

18. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Bob, Please post some pics of the blown 1100s. I'd like to see them.

Were the loads the new Winchester AAs that are notorious for having the base wad separate and lodge in the barrel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 forend crack

reports of beretta gun barrels splitting

split 391 beretta shotgun