1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 Barrel Length Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikeshann, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeshann

mikeshann TS Member

I'm in the process for shopping for a new gun for my wife for Valentines Day. (yea I know nothing says I love you like a new gun). She'll primarily shoot trap with it, possible a littel skeet. My question is regarding barrel length.

I am looking at a Beretta Urika 2, RL with a parallel stock. Most of them come in a 28" barrel. I always liked a 30 or 32" barrel on my trap guns. With the RL model I've had three people tell me to go with the 28" barrle as it will be easier to handle for her. She's 5'4. Looking for advice perferrably from other female trap shooters. I can't locate any 391 RLs anywhere in my area for her to try out, plus i wanted it to be a surprise. She like our son's 391 and that is what she wants I'm just not sure on which barrel to get. Advice???

2. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I bought my wife a 391 RL 30" she didnt like it,too many moving parts, likes the Citori XT but was recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel so she's switching to a BT99 but she is 5'10" and 140#.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I bought one of my daughters a 391 RL with 28 inch barrel, and she really likes it. Fits her well, and is comfortable to swing, etc. But she is about 5'8" so fairly big. Remember, the sem-auto with 28 inch bbls is about the same length as a single or double bbl with 32 inch bbls. So don't overdo the bbl length. As for gun, though, you might want to look at the Beretta 3901 (not 391) RL as it is more adjustable for LOP than the 391, comes with adjustable comb, etc and is specifically designed for women and jrs. Same optima bbl, chokes ,etc. Overall, probably a better buy for the ladies.

Jim R

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I would go with a 28 inch barrel and a RL parallel stock. my 2 cents worth. JM

5. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

My wife is just under 5'3" and shoots a 391 Teknys Gold Trap that we cut down to the length of the RL you are considering. It has a 30" barrel and she loves it. Truth be told she never shot a 28", but she has no trouble handling the 30. If anything it promotes a better follow through. They're not very heavy in the front to start with and that little bit extra from the added couple of inches of barrel may help with your wife's swing.

You won't go wrong with either, but the 30 probably has better resale when she wants to upgrade.

Just my $.02

Joe

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

a few years ago- my duaghter was 12 yrs old - she shot a 391 rl parallel 28" - afriend of ours wanted a 28" to hunt with - i had sold him a 30" in the same model - i switched barrels and she NEVER noticed!! ps: put a beretta recoil reducer in the stock, which balances the gun a lil better and i think actually works.

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

acss has it nailed....GOOD LUCK

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

BTW - the GOld Trap comes with the recoil reducer already installled - does help with balance.

Joe

9. mikeshann

mikeshann TS Member

Hi everyone,
    thanks for taking time to answer my question regarding 28 or 30" barrel. I decided to go with the 28" as it will probably work just fine and she'll be able to shoot trap and skeet as well as sporting clays. She won't shoot competitely, just weekend shooting 50-75 birds for fun. I'm checking on getting a recoil reducer installed in the stock as well. mike

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hey Mike,
    I think you made a very wise choice.
    I have a 391 with the 28" barrel to go along with my Browning's. The first time I put it on the pattern board I was shocked. With the extended Modified Choke it patterned as good as my 32" Citori plus with the same size choke. Went to the IM and Full choke and the same results---beautiful pattern; every bit as tight as the Citori.
    Mine is the parallel target and shoots a 70/30 pattern, just like my Brownings.
    Do your wife a favor and take her to a pattern board before you turn her loose on targets. She might have to "float" her birds a little more then she's used to or maybe not.
    Good luck and enjoy!
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA
    cunninmp@hotmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.