1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Beretta 3901 recoil and cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangover, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangover

hangover TS Member

Articles I have seen say the recoil is light but the gas syestem is hard to clean. Does anyone have a 3901 who can tell me what has to be cleaned and if it is a problem to do it. If recouil is light I don't mind speading some time cleanig in exchange for light recoil. I need a short stock and less recoil so this appears to be the gun for me.
  2. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

I don't know who keeps spreading rumors that Beretta autos are hard to clean, but they're not. Even the dreaded 391's gas system is a piece of cake once you've done it and the 3901 is a bit simpler (same gun as the 390). The beauty is that you don't need to clean them very often. My buds and I go at least a couple of thousand rounds between cleaning. The key is using clean burning ammo and shooting the gun "wet" with Breakfree CLP.

Great guns and light recoil provided that they fit you!
  3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The 3901 is a simpler gas system than the 391 for sure and is very easy to clean as Tron stated. I clean my 390's around the 5000 round mark. They will run longer provided you use the breakfree and keep the gun running wet each time you shoot it. Spray some inside the action before shooting. If the oil is creeping out around the trigger group you have applied the right amount. They like oil so there is no such thing as too much. Do not oil the magazine tube or the gas system just the action around the bolt and trigger group.
  4. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I have shot over 5,000 rounds before cleaning my 391 and it doesn't hiccup. I agree that the gas system is a ton easier to clean once you have done it a few times. The cleaner the ammo, the longer you can go without cleaning.

My wife, 5'-6", 119# shoots a 391 and can shoot it all day without recoil issues.
  5. DavidWertz

DavidWertz TS Member

My 12 year old daughter shoots (and cleans) a 3901. It isn't difficult at all.

DW
  6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Why would you not put at least a thin coat of something like CLP on the mag tube? You have metal running on metal & it would seem better that it has some kind of lubricant. Thanks. Tom
  7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Tom the mag tube if lubricated collects the gas and carbon residue from the gas venting and becopmes a gummed up mess.
  8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Tom the mag tube if lubricated collects the gas and carbon residue from the gas venting and becomes a gummed up mess. I have shot 303's and 390's since 1981 and have never seen a tube wear from no lube. I have one 303 with over 80,000 rounds thru it and the mag tube shows no wear. It is just not needed and if applied it collects unneccessary build up that will cause operation problems. Keep in mind the mag tube and the operating rod are not a tight fit to begin with.
  9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"...the mag tube if lubricated collects the gas and carbon residue from the gas venting..."</i>

Which is exactly the intent.

Far, far easier to clean up a liquid residue of CLP and carbon residue than to try to clean up a hard, caked-on dry carbon residue.

Remington says to shoot the 1100 dry, but years of experience show that a coating of CLP makes it much, much easier to clean.

Wipe, reapply CLP, and you're done.

Same is true of the Beretta gas guns.

I even do this on my off-brand gas operated semi-auto guns.
  10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The point is if no lubricant is applied there is no need or mess to clean up. If lube is applied there is a need for cleaning.
  11. cafowler

cafowler Member

I have both a 20 & 12 3901, and have shot a B-80 for ducks for 25 years. I think this gas system is a great and soft shooting gun. You'll get a dozen different answer's on cleaning. I've seen some incredibly dirty 391's still running smooth shot after shot using the CLP in action method mentioned above. The action looked like it had 1/4" of grease in it, but it was just gooped up dirty CLP. I think that gun was going on 3 years with no cleaning.

I'm the opposite, I like to keep them as spotless as I can, and do put a drop of oil on the mag tube then leave the rod the gas cylinder runs up/down dry. Any exhaust building up on the mag tube just rubs off with a rag that way instead of a hard carbon buildup. The gas cylinder has a keeper ring that can be removed to make cleaning the cylinder easier. Take it apart, drop the pieces in some SLIP2000, a little elbow grease with a brass brush and it's like new. The piece it slides into hanging off the barrel can be a pain to clean, but you only need to do it every few years, no big deal. I spent less than an hour cleaning the 20 Ga back to a factory new condition after an Argentina dove trip and about 6,000 rounds. No big deal. Clean is a subjective term with a wide variety of definitions between people. Had this same argument today on the job.

I think the 3901 is the best gun/value deal going today. If you don't own one now you may regret it in a few years. I bought the 12 Ga to replace my duck gun and expect it to run for another 25 years easy, till I'm done and have to hang it up all together. This will be a lifetime of shooting essentially the same gun/action, it's that good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.