1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 390 What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Will they shoot and cycle light 7/8 oz 12 ga as well as "high brass?

Found a Silver mallard with wood stocks in almost new condition for $500, is that a good deal? It has Mobil chokes.

Are they fussy about being clean? Are they durable and reliable?

How many shots do they hold?

Thanks guys!

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The gas bleed off from a fired shell is what cycles the ejection system on a 390. A spring of a predetermined spring pressure is what regulates the gas bleed off ejecting spent shells. The spring pressure set by the factory will eject many light loads but not some very light ones. Conversely heavy field loads will cause the bolt to be slammed against the rear of the receiver as the target gun has a heavier spring tension than the 390 field gun.

The bleed off concept: a heavier tension spring will hold pressure preventing quick bleed off building pressure allowing the bolt to be pushed rearward ejecting a very light load. A lighter tension spring allows the spent gas to bleed off rapidly preventing the bolt from slaming the rear of the receiver.

Cole Gunsmithing 207/333-5677 or colegun.com offers a spring kit for about $30.00 allowing you to shoot the lightest to the heaviest loads out of a 390.
    Spring change out is a three mnute job at most.

They are great guns by the way.

Surfer

3. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

So is this a field gun or a target gun?

thanks

4. dshot

dshot Member

I have three 390'S, one sporting clay, one 390 gold and a 390 daimond grade and all three shoot 7/8 oz loads without any problems. I use them most shooting sporting clays and 5 stand.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Silver Mallard is a field gun aimed at water fowling and would require a heavier tension spring to cycle ultra light target loads. The gun probably has a field stock which isn't the best setup for trap but will work with sporting clays, skeet and in the field of course. If you buy it with the intention of shooting water fowl, upland game and clay targets, I would suggest you purchase the spring kit from Cole Gunsmithing.

The guns are easy to clean and are reliable. Depending on where you live, prices will range from $400.00 - $500.00. The Blue Book of Gun values, values a standard wood stocked Silver mallard at $450.00 for a 100% gun and $400.00 for 98% dropping to $350.00 for a 90% gun. Length of barrel and other embellishments will influence price up or down. The Blue Book is a reference guide, not the absolute value day over day.

Surfer

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you want a gun to shoot extra light to extra heavy with no user intervention, buy a 391. If you want to do the same w/ the 390, you need to match the spring to the load, and the Cole spring kit is essential for this. If you try to shoot extra light and extra heavy without changing the spring, you'll either have a gun that won't function reliably (because its bleeding off too much gas), or a gun that is beating itself to deal (because its not bleeding off enough gas).

Ideally you want just enough gas to cycle the action and drop the hull at your feet while still reliably working the action. If the gun is flinging hulls a long way away, you're beating the action to death in the process.

7. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

I've got a Silver Mallard which I shoot 1 oz. loads through all the time, haven't tried 7/8, but wouldn't expect a problem. These guns aren't picky and are much easier to clean than the 391.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Silver mallard is substantially lighter than the 390 Sport also..

9. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

My son has a 390 and I have two. Extremely reliable. The gas system is easier to clean than the 391.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
al390 cole spring kit
beretta 390 kuit silver
beretta al390 silver mallard not ejecting light loads
beretta sporting 390 cleaning
cleaning a beretta a390a
cole 390 spring kit

dicussion of cole springs with a beretta 390

how to make a beretta 390 lighter