1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

beretta 390 durability?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

As some of you know I lost my bt-99 to a thief a month or so ago, may the dirty s.o.b. rot in ...well you get it. Anyway I'm getting fairly proficient with my back up gun, a beretta 390 with a trap barrel [thanks again Brad]. I'm thinking of moving it to the being the primary gun instead of the temp. I shoot a lot of rounds throughout summer and am now wondering what kind of maintainance problems I can expect. thanks Bill Wheeler

2. fly

fly Active Member

have a spare breech bolt connecting rod, and shoot the hell out of it. Some ammo get's them dirtier then others. Mine ran about 2000 rounds(reloads with Clays powder) before it had cycling problems.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Just keep it clean and shoot it wet.

4. sanremo

sanremo Member

Shot one for years, relaible and easy to maintain. shot mine 3226 rounds before it failed due to crud build up. Carry a spare link, hammer braces and some oil........they run forever!

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Replace the action spring every 8-10,000 rounds!! 390's don't have a bolt buffer and a weak spring allows the bolt to slam into the aluminum receiver.

Ken Rucker

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Run it wet and clean it when it starts to work slow. I have one with over 80,000 thru it and it still works fine. The spare parts i carry are connecting rod,hammer braces,trigger group pin and break free clp. A spare trigger group is really the handiest.

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Everyone else has summed it up pretty well. I might add, the BEST thing you could ever do for your 390 is to send the trigger group to Cole Gunsmithing for a trigger job. Transforms a good gun into a GREAT one.

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Would that be the Cole Gunsmith uo in Maine??

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

10. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

I have one that has well over 100k through it. Cole did the trigger years ago,it has been to south america 1-12 times what a work horse.

11. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

I change the hammer spring, firing pin, and recoil spring at the start of trap season.

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

While you're talking to Cole, order one of their gas valve spring kits, I think six springs in all. These springs let you taylor the pressure blead off preventing the bolt from being pushed rearward to hard. Having the right spring for your load will save the linkage and bolt. Ask Cole, he will give you the lowdown.

Surfer

13. jergott

jergott Member

I agree with fly. Both he and I have owned 390 Berettas and shot the hell out of them in the late 90's and early 2000's. The only thing that ever broke on mine was the action link. I would clean the gas piston every 1000 rounds or so to remove the built up plastic residue. Wipe down the mag tube with some teflon based lube and you should never have cycling issues. Good Luck!! Jeremy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 303 magnum durability