1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 390 barrel question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Almcvey, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

almcvey_2008_030311.jpg

I have a hastings rifled deer barrel for my beretta 390. It just kicks
    the crap out of you, even with 23/4 inch shells its awful.. I cant shoot
    the 3 inch at all.. after looking at the factory barrel compared to the
    hastings barrel, you can see it does not have the extra holes like the factory
    barrel. My question is why not just drill the holes like the factory barrel??
    Any ideas??

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Because its for a 303.

Jb

3. dshot

dshot Member

I think Tron is right on the money

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It is for a 303 barrel and thus no gas prot holes in the lug. My smith charges me 10.00 to drill all four holes with a reamer. They are an odd size so a drill bit is not the answer.lol Also after drilling it out you will need to buy a second gas valve spring and cut it off to account for the 303 lug being further forward and compressing the spring more when the forearm nut is screwed down tight. You only need the spring portion as the foot is removeable from one to the other. If you do not use a shorter gas valve spring that will let gas escape drilling the holes will not help. The spring must compress enough to let gas escape thru the forearm vent. About a 20.00 fix. But i am somewhat confused why the forearm even goes on and screws down right. You should have to alter the forearm for the 303 lug to allow the 390 forearm to fit right. Not a big deal either way and the barrel will work perfectly fine with a little tweeking.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I thought spring tension played a large part on the rate of gas bleed off and gas bleed off has a direct correlation to to felt recoil. Cutting the spring does not change the spring tension. You might give Cole gunsmithing a call (207/833-5027)for their opinion and maybe one of their tailored springs.

Surfer

6. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

I will call cole gunsmithing, But the barrel was new in the box and unopened.
    It clearly says for A390 beretta with all the hastings markings. There are no installation problems and
    its the exact same lenght as the factory barrel. fits perfect...

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Could be that Hastings never drilled the lug before they soldered the lug on. Simple to fix. Take both barrels to a machine shop and let them drill the holes.

8. rbk18

rbk18 Member

Double check on the bottom of the slug barrel. Hastings marks them there for what the barrel will fit. It will be on the chamber end of the barrel. I had a Hastings for my 303 and it had the holes drilled in the barrel lug. Maybe it was put in the wrongly marked box.

9. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

Checked the barrel and it is stamped A 390. I think I am going to have it drilled out..

10. dead on 4

call coles before you have anything drilled.

Surfer

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think drilling it out will reduce the recoil sensation to any extent that you would find significant-

It wont keep the muzzle down

Gas is already bled off

Slugs because you shoot them from a more stationary position kick like "shi*"

sight it in from a bench and you will always be kicked but even stationary and standing

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. dead on 4

It's not just about holes, its about gas bleed off which is determined by spring rates

Call Coles......................

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 303 gas system
beretta 390
beretta 390 barrell

hastings barrel beretta 390

making a beretta 303 barrel work on a beretta 390

putting a 303 barrel on a 390
what size shells can the beretta 390 shoot