1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BERETTA 303 QUESTION???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

Knowing well that different brands of 12ga shotguns differ in bore diameter, my 303 32" fixed full seems somewhat tighter than the fixed full barrels of the guys shooting next to me - An MX2000 (34") and a BT-100 (32"). Does this mean that the 303 will pattern tighter? John

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John.... "SEEMS SOMEWHAT TIGHTER" means nothing unless you know each guns bore and choke dimensions. Your gun may, in fact, have a tighter choke than the guns you are comparing them to. If you are shooting a .038" choke and the other 2 are .034" or so, then your gun may shoot a tighter pattern. What choke diameter are you referring to as full? The only way to determine if yours is tighter is if all 3 guns have the same choke dimensions. Each barrel is different and there are no "perfect" answers to your question.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

Dan... All three barrels are fixed FULL. How far into the barrel do you have to go to measure constriction? Thanks. John

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John.... Using a bore gauge, you run it into the barrel about halfway or so to measure the bores diameter. Then, you slowly pull the bore mic towards the choke until you get the measurement of the choke. Subtract the choke measurement from the bore diameter and you have the choke measurement.. Just because your gun says "Full" on the barrel does not mean that the other guns have the same choke measurement, even if they say "Full". You have to measure the chokes to determine if you are shooting a light full, full, or extra full. Measuring with a bore mic is the ONLY way to find this out..... Dan

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Like Dan said. Also, a shortcut, stick the bore gage into the barrel, set it to zero and pull it thru the choke, reading the constriction. Don't need to do any calculations....

Jim

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think the 303's have a bore diameter of about .722" or .723". If you can measure the choke at its smallest diameter, then subtract that measurement from the bore diameter. That will give you the constriction.

Easystreet

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I own 4 32" 303 barrels and three 30" none of which have any bore work done. They all measure between .723 and .730. Depends on when the barrels were reamed at the factory. New reamers or worn reamers. The more worn they were the tighter the bore and the newer the more open. That is my theory anyway.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bad, they are not reamed at the factory; they are hammer forged. Almost all I've had were about 0.722 but now and again one would be bigger.

But in reference to John's original question, no. But they do shoot pretty tight patterns, generally, as do the others you mentioned unless the BT is a choke tube model, in which case it's probably less tight.

Neil

9. Loyac

Loyac Member

I thank you all! john

10. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Why not find a Mobile choked barrel for it?

11. Loyac

Loyac Member

Danny56... I've heard the 32" choked barrels are pretty hard to come by. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.