1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 303 malfunctions, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hammer-time, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I need some help. I'm having problems I haven't had before. I have two a303s with different problems. The first one, a 2 3/4" trap gun won't cycle and get the 2nd shot into battery unless I'm shooting a 1 1/8oz. super handicap remington. It doesn't happen all the time but I'd say every 15 shots with 1 1/8 oz @ 1185 fps. I tore the gun down Saturday night, replace the recoil spring, completly cleaned the trigger, used a 7/32" drill bit down through the gas ports cleaning them up really well. Scraped the inside of the barrel gas chamber and used a brass brush to clean it thoroughly. Cleaned the piston extremely well, and put it back together. EVerything worked well for 125 rounds and then it started again.

The second is a 3" mag that has always cycled hot 2 3/4" super handicaps well. It fully cycles them and the bolt goes into battery securely but get no hammer drop when I pull the trigger on the 2nd shot of a pair. On Saturday, I couldn't the hammer up at all after a first bird. I had to completely tear it down, clean it and put it back together. The hammer still wouldn't fall. I ended up taking the safety out to get the trigger to work. I think there might have been some kind of grit in there. Anyhow, no way to test the 2nd shot. Sunday, on the 3rd pair, it started again. Same thing. I replace the hammer spring with a new one and the firing pin spring in the bolt is about 6 months old and not broken. The firing pin channel was cleaned very well on Saturday night.

Third one, yep, they all have developed problems all at once. I've gone almost 5000 rounds this summer without a single malfunction other than the 3" not cycling seme low recoil rounds. Anyhow, the third one is a 301 trap that has been shot a bunch by a previous owner and was extremely dirty when I got it. Anyhow, the bolt sticks back in the receiver after shooting the heavier handicap loads It is not in the link nor is the linkage at the back of the bolt getting stuck in the recoil tube. The bolt will get stuck when put in all by itself and pushed to the rear of the receiver.

Please, Any ideas? I'm getting flustered!

2. blaster

blaster Member

look at the bottom and see if the feed ramp is to one side. It maybe bent over shooting alot.

3. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

everything appears to be ok with that. All 2 look the same in that rea.

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

On the 301. Remove the bolt, connector, slide and trigger group. At the inside rear of the receiver will be an area of the receiver that has swollen into the track that the foot on back of the bolt rides in. It's caused by the bolt hitting the back of the receiver. with a Dremmel tool grind off enough material that the bolt alone will slide all the way back and forth without hanging up.

Buz

5. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I guess everyone is baffled as I am huh

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I have the same problem with a 302 and 303. Tried the above test and the bolt moves fine. It does it with rio and gun club shells. Regardless if it is clean or dirty. Sometimes the shell just hangs the action open by hitting on the outside of the chamber. I thought about some type of smoothing the are but really hate grinding on the gun. the hammer spring is replaced with one of the new ones from this site along with the recoil spring. hope we find an answer soon. motordoc

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a collection of 303's as that is all I shoot for trap or hunting. I have shot the largest of shells to the lightest and never a problem like you describe. I keep a couple spare connecting rids and a few spare main and trigger springs butI am not familiar with your problem. Sorry I cannot be of help but I would suggest one other thing to look at. Take your bolt out and make sure the left rear lug is in tact, they tend to get damage and will cause feed problems. A new bolt is expensive

8. motordoctor

still had the same problem today after cleaning throughly and checking the lifter. the nose of the shell hits on the chanber edge and the gun will not close. help please.

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had my 303 serviced at The Grand just because it has over 50,000 rounds. One of the things they did was install a new recoil spring. Thats when my failures to load began. I had to cut 2 inches off a new spring. It seems that the new springs are stronger than the originals.

10. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

John,

I thought it was just me, but had 2 391s serviced at the Grand (Poor Service, but that's another story).

It doesn't happen every time, but enough to cause my son distress. Can you specify which spring requires cutting in more detail.

Thank You!
    TNCoach

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

7/32? Really?

I hope you are saying 7/64". For obvious reasons.

HM

12. cubancigar2000

I have heavy springs in all my 303's and have not had any problems. Most all feed probs arise from a bent carrier, have you switched carriers from a different gun? Try it, just remove the trigger and use another one

13. motordoctor

I tried to switch the carriers. I also checked the bent carried deal on the table Both of mine are fine but it still jams onthe side of the barrel. Does anyone have a picture of the area that is being chamfered or how much to do to it. We also have a 302 and it works fine even with a 303 barrel on it. Never jams or misfeeds. Both have new hammer and recoil springs in them help is appreciated. Motordoc

14. cubancigar2000

I would continue switching parts from other guns until you eliminate the source. Barrel, bolt, trigger. Especially the trigger. The carrier may not look bent but it is the timing device for the shell to load and the slightest bit out of whack will srew up everything.

15. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Motordoc,

If you find out how to fix it please send me a PM, I might have to send both of my 391s to Coles?

I had a few problems with the guns prior to having them serviced by Beretta @ Grand, but the problem is worse!

Berettta went through them and replaced all the springs (it took them 2 tries to get it right on one gun, but they finally did).

Thank you,
    TNCoach

16. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Halfmile wrote: "7/32? Really? I hope you are saying 7/64". For obvious reasons."

You are correct. The size is 7/64". Had a brainfart. I do believe two 1/4" holes in the gas port area would leave the bolt and parts of the receiver lodged firmly between my ears!

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

In my 303 the shell lifter works off the forward movement of the bolt. I'd check the spring in the "dog-ear" on the back end of the lifter, it may be worn or broken? I just checked my pull trigger and it has all new springs in it. I will have to replace some springs in my release too.

motordoc, have you checked out yours to see if the lifter might be slightly bent toward the side where the new shell hangs up? Or, the holdin pin holes worn letting it sag to that side? Just thinking of possible causes. Hap

18. motordoctor

in one of the threads it shows a picture that you take the lifter and place it oon a flat surface and hold it with one finger. See if it wobbles. I tried it with two of the triggers that i have and they are both flat. I also have the lifter with the hump is in. I understand that the 391 had a problem with the flat lifter. I even changed the lifer from one trigger to another and still had a problme. not sure what to try next. motordoc

19. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i was just told ,that on beretta service, it will done in the st louis area(pevely) by midwest gunworks- their head gunsmith may have some info on this!! 636-475-7300

20. motordoctor

this is where it hangs up. The pen is pointing to the outside but the shell hangs on the inside. Is this the area that needs polishing????

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a 303 beretta action jammed
berata 302 jamming
beretta 303 jamming
beretta 303 recoil spring replacement

beretta 303 trouble shooting

beretta 303a malfunction
beretta a303 recoil spring

problems with beretta model 302 carrier