1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 303 disassembly problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rum River, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Working on this for a friend of mine. It hasn't been cleaned or maintained in who knows how long. I can't get the stockbolt out to remove the buttstock. I have a screwdriver that fits the bolt well, and I haven't buggered up the slot (yet), but just can't get the thing to budge. My best guess is that the threads at the rear of the receiver are rusted. Any ideas? Dan

2. sleepy bill

sleepy bill TS Member

Dan, on all the 303's I have had you needed a metric socket to remove the nut on the end of the stockbolt. The stockbolt stays with the receiver. Once you remove the nut and washer the stock will slide off the receiver. Bill Hardison Memphis Sport Shooting

3. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Bill, I have a 390 Beretta that is just as you describe.

However, this 303 I'm working on has a 1/2" straight slot screw head, which is recessed about 1/8" inside a metal tube. The metal tube has two opposed notches that suggest it may have to be turned out. I'm leary of trying that, as the tube is about 5/8" in diameter, and I don't have a screwdriver that's large enough to engage both notches simultaneously.

I think there may be different styles of 303 stock attachments too. I have a replacement 303 buttstock in my shop that has a full-length stock bolt, but the head of the bolt has no tube-type assembly like this one I'm working on.

The one I have here is a trap model, I wonder if that makes a difference?

Dan

4. sleepy bill

sleepy bill TS Member

Dan, you are going to need a thin wall socket when you go to take the nut off. There is not much clearance between the nut and the stock.

5. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

OK, I understand what you're saying. When I get home, I'll look for a nut on the outside of the tube I described.

Thanks!

Dan

6. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Bill/Doug,

Once I got a decent amount of light, I saw what you both described. The 3/4" socket worked perfectly.

I double checked my 390, and I see that actually has a hex nut on a threaded rod, which in turn is mounted to a stockbolt containing a recoil spring.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Thanks for the help!

Dan

7. sleepy bill

sleepy bill TS Member

Dan, just be glad you didn't find a big enough screwdriver to remove that slotted screw.

8. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Good point Bill, that would have been a mess.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.