1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 303 Breach Bolt Cracked - Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DHS, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHS

DHS Member

Cleaning my 303 today I see that the Breach Bolt is cracked at the rear of the bolt. Not sure what to do. Where is the best place to buy a replacement bolt and is it easy enough to take apart the old unit to install all the components into the new bolt. I have seen that the entire bolt assembly can be purchased but is quite expensive. Also if this is a difficult repair who is best to send it to.

Finally the bolt is not cracked clear through so is it ok to shoot.

Thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

email sent

4. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Here is a sample "before" and "after" of a Beretta bolt. I believe it is better to repair a damaged section of an original part if there is any doubt that a replacement might not be compatible with the assembly parts or inter-related mechanisms not in the specific assembled unit, such as a carrier (shell lifter) actuated by the bolt.

Notice that the white arrows point to a section of firing pin spring that had broken off and "screwed" itself into the coils of the larger section. The red arrow points to the obvious cracked off section temporarily affixed for picture comparison. The bad spring was replaced during the repair.

This example was reported to have functioned fine, and I think it looks fine, too, don't you?

Kirby

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=Berettaboltcracked.jpg" target="_blank"> Berettaboltcracked.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=Berettaboltrepaired.jpg" target="_blank"> Berettaboltrepaired.jpg </a>

5. cubancigar2000

kerby- is it possible to weld a new lug on the upper left corner. I have two bolts that need it

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Kirby i am a little confused at what you are getting at but from my experience the spring you are talking about does not really matter if it is broke or not. I had a 303 that the spring was broke on and in many small pieces and it functioned fine for well over a year. I finally replaced it just because i found a good spring. The bolts seem to always break off the corner you are refering to and i have not seen anyone that has replaced them succesfully. Be great if someone got that figured out.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If the broken lug is replaced and welded properly, that union will be stronger than the parent metal! Sure it will work but it must be done absolutely the correct way and at the right temperature! If too hot, the fix will crack off more of the parent metal, not the weld itself. If welded too cold, the weld itself will let go.

Hap

8. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

The firing pin spring is a crucial part that ensures return to rear position, so when a portion is disabled and rolled into the gap of another spring section, tension is altered and collapse distance is reduced due to coil stack filled by a broken section. Having a minor change in tension or rebound may not seem dangerous, but we have no reliance that all situations will react the same.

A broken section may also not stay centered and has the possibility of a jammed firing pin. Then you can have failure to fire as one possibility. Having one fractured spring example that did not seem to malfunction does not prove that all broken springs have innocuous effect on function or safety. One jammed firing pin that causes a slam-fire will ruin all of the economy gathered by delay in replacing a defective spring.

You can see the repair that I did to that broken bolt, and I won't have a problem doing that repair again.

Kirby

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I sold my 303 because parts are becoming very hard to find. Beretta
    and Cole's does not have parts for the gun. Brownells does not have
    303 parts. If you have a 303 it would be wise to find what parts
    you can now.

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Kirby that is great to know on the repaired bolt. Let us know how it holds up. I have seen so many of those springs broken with no ill effect of any kind i still don't think it matters. But i know Beretta put them there for a reason.

11. cubancigar2000

303 Parts are easily found. Parts guns are also easily found

12. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

In the future, keep a fresh mainspring in your 303. Most cracked bolt issues are due to worn mainsprings which let the bolt come back too fast and smack into the rear of the receiver. When you pull out a worn mainspring and compare its length to a new one, you'll find the old spring to be much shorter.

13. DHS

DHS Member

Wondered just what the alloy of the bolt steel is so when it is welded the proper weld rod and procedure can be followed. Let me know.

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Where can I find a 303 bolt and piston? I couldn't find
    one any where.

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I have a spare piston and bolt if you are interested. 125.00 tyd for both.

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

First hand experience. The described piece on the bolt cracks/breaks off because the back of the receiver is expanded into the receiver channel that it rides in by repeated ramming of the bolt. The condition is aggravated by a weak mainspring as markostrunk mentioned, but will happen eventually anyway. Use a Dremel tool to grind the expanded area out of the channel to prevent this from happening. A good welder, like Kirby, can build the bolt area back up and re-fit it. If the little "shoe" is totally missing, the gun will function long and well without it, except it will not release a round from the magazine. You can still shoot doubles by loading the second round onto the lift, not into the magazine. If the bolt is broken elsewhere, it's probably trash. I may have one, PM me if you want it.

Buz

17. DHS

DHS Member

I replaced the breech bolt with a used one purchased from a contact from this forum. Tried to use the existing breech bolt slide (fits under the breach bolt). It did not work since it would not slide in the existing breech bolt. Used the breach bolt slide supplied with the purchased breech bolt and it works fine. The moral of the story is the parts are not interchangeable and may require fitting.

18. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

DHS states the outcome that fit my recommendation to repair the existing part, if practical, and not always count on part grouping to be compatible in a mix-n-match.

Glad things were able to work out for you.

Kirby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beratta 302 breech bolt for sale

beratta 303 breech bolt in uk

beretta 302 shotgun breech bolt

beretta 303 and 302 breech bolt in italy
beretta a303 breech bolt assembly
beretta usa - slide breech bolt assy for sale
finding cracks in a win breech bolt
welding cracked beretta shotgun bolt