1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 303 bolt not locking back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

Hoping someone can help with a 303 problem. I took my Beretta out for the first time in about 5 yrs for a hunt. I found the bolt would not lock back when gun is empty. I dry fired gun and pulled bolt back and it locked open. Push the release button and bolt slams forward. I then pulled bolt back and it would not lock. I pulled trigger group, bolt and cleaned with solvent and air. I lightly oiled but this did not cure issue. Any ideas how to fix. Thanks, Len

2. rjclay

rjclay TS Member

it will do that hen cocked.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

small button on front of trigger housing , shud be pushed it'll click -which will lower the shell lift carrier (silver flapper that raises shell up )--then pull the bolt open--shud stay

4. len loma

len loma TS Member

Gun will operate and cycle fine shooting ammo just will not lock bolt in open position when empty. Len

5. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Len, your 303 is operating exactly as designed. You got the correct answer already from acss.

The carrier (also known as a lifter) must be fully down in order for the bolt to lock open. This will happen in either of two ways:

1. With bolt closed and the carrier (lifter) is in the slightly raised position, press the little black button at the rear of the carrier as acss said. The carrier will pop downward. Then, open the bolt and it will lock back.

2. When the trigger is pulled, everything happens automatically. As the hammer rotates forward, a projection on the bottom of the hammer automatically trips the little black button, popping the carrier downward. Then, when the bolt opens (either manually or as a result of a chambered round being fired), the bolt will lock open (provided there were no shells in the magazine). This is why your gun operates correctly for you when dry fired and shooting live ammo (since the trigger is pulled in both of these cases). But if the trigger is not pulled (and therefore the hammer is not dropped), you must manually push the little black button to get the bolt to lock open.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

acss_2008_0303470.jpg
    this part on your trigger assembly is what keeps the bolt locked back-- it is spring loaded-- when out of receiver , it stands straight up and can be pushed backwards but will flip back quickly --there is a small spring and pin that will wear and cause it to stay back or catch-- i fixed one earlier this year for the same problem wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

7. len loma

len loma TS Member

Thank you guys very much for pointing me in right direction. I will check this all out in the next few day. Thanks again, Len

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a303 not locking back
beretta a 303
beretta a 303 bolt lock problem
how to lock bolt back on beretta shotgun

p beretta 303 carrier locked

shotgun bolt not locking open
trouble with beretta 391 bolt locking back