1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 302 load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longgunnm, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

I have started using a Beretta 302, factory equipped near as I can tell, for beginning my doubles.

Our light 1 oz 1100 fps unknown but low pressure singles loads will not reliably operate the action. Either stovepipes or failure to feed completely.

I am considering a 1 oz 1200 fps Remington hull load of 8000 psi to make this gun work.

It is shot dry without lube on the piston, with little lube on the action bar.

Can anyone offer their experience if this proposed load works your 302?

Thank you,
    Mark Weber

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

As you mentioned you will maybe need to shoot it wet and boost your shells up slightly. Is this a 3" barrel??

3. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

No, it is 2 3/4".

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot loads that light you can open the hole in the barrel so it gets more gas to make it function. If you do this shooting heavy loads will beat the receiver so I would think about it long and hard first. It is a soft shooting gun already so I would just up the load until it functions correctly and see if that is ok for your needs.

5. mt92

mt92 Member

I have an A300 Skeet and I shoot 17.2 gr. of clay dot with the pink clay buster clone and 1oz. It always cycles.

Mike

6. dtrap

dtrap Member

I find tha 700X works the best....using book loads. 18 ,181/2 grains.

7. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

My 303 is essentially the same gun and it will have few FTEs with any load of less than 3 drams. Its a 2 3/4" barrel and absolutly clean, including the recoil spring and housing.
    These guns like to run a little wet. CLP is the best. Leave a film on everything, including the gas piston and chamber. Make sure the area inside the action bar is not dirty either.
    There all a little different, some just don't like real light loads.
    The cheap Wally World Federal Game Shok, in the blue box is 1 ounce @ 1290 FPS, 3 1/4 drams. These hit hard and the recoil is very light in my opinion. I especially like the speed when its windy.
    Have fun, CS27

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Europe in those days had no light loads. Open the gas ports to about.080, use reamer, not a drill, chrome lined bbl. I had one done by Beretta at the Grand years ago n/c

9. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I Have a 301 and a 303 shooting 18 grs. clays, DR wj-12-rpl Wad, 1 1/16 oz 7 1/2's in a AA HS and they are just spitting them out. I mean if you sway your hip you could catch 'em in your shell pouch. But not a jam or failure to eject yet in 1000 to 1.5K rounds. Now I didn't look your load up in my book, But I think there is a fine line here Where you may be able to speed your load up a little bit and make it cycle. While still staying inside published load parameters OF COURSE !!

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Loads less than 1-1/8th ounces such as 7/8ths need higher chamber pressures to work the action on most semi-autos. I've shot my 303 on dbls and used 7/8ths for the first shot and never had a failure to eject. You read of guys with break open guns loading some mighty inferior loads on both pressure and velocity. Sure, they will go bang but the SDs are terrible and inconsistent with incomplete powder burns. That just doesn't work too well for most semi-autos though.

Hap

11. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

Well that load did'nt work.
    Remington STS hull, Federal 209, Clay Dot 16.5, CB 1100-12 and 1 oz shot at 8000 psi made no change at all. Stove pipes and not enough bolt action to eject the empty hull. Not one second shell got to the chamber.
    Gun was clean.
    I know it will work with 1 1/8 but was trying to stay away from that.
    I appreciate all the help and advice.
    I'll keep trying.
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 302 and heavy loads

beretta 302 failure to feed

heavy loads beretta 302