1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 302/303

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blowin smoke, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Just picked up a 302 this evening delivered to my FFL from out of state dealer. Dropped by the range on way home to test fire, and won't even come close to ejecting 1 oz. shells with 17.5 Clays, or even 1 1/8 shells with 18.0 Clays. Gun looks mint. These shells roll through my 390's/ 391's.

Is this normal with the 302's/ 303's? (from what Ihave researched, pretty much the same gun with exception of a few cosmetics). Thanks for your help.

2. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Not suprised it won't eject the 1oz. The gas systems are different between the three guns.
    Run a drill thru the gas ports in the barrel to make sure they are clean. I run my gas guns wet with break free(clp).
    Might have to up your powder or change to a faster powder.

3. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Thanks sptnclays. I knew the gas systems were different, but did not realize it may not be expected to cycle with what I consider fairly standard target loads. I'll give the dealer I bought it from a call tomorrow to see what we can work out. I'll check the ports, but it's not much good to me the way it is. Even my 3.5 Extrema will cycle these same loads, so I just assumed this gun would as well.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

all I shoot are 303's. That is not normal, I can shoot 7/8 oz light loads or 1 1/2 oz heavys. Best Beretta ever made 301, 302, 303 even teh AL 2. Gas ports dirty or someone put the magnum spring in it

5. tj303

tj303 Member

Cubancigar has it dead on.

6. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Ports are clean. Please expand on "magnum spring" and how to remedy if you will. The gun feels great and has excellent wood and I want to shoot it - just not familiar with this model as compared to 391's etc. Thanks!

7. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

It's not the magnum spring. I have those in my 303 trap guns and they cycle 7/8 oz 1200 fps loads all day. Look for some other cause. Do shoot the piston and guide rod wet with BreakFree CLP.

8. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Dealer says it sounds like gas ports on barrel need to be enlarged (special skeet - 2 3/4 barrel). He says to ship it back and they will work on it to make it shoot reasonable target loads. Sounds good to me. Thanks for your replies.

9. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

My duck unlimited 303 is a 3 inch magnum and my son shoots 17.0 Nitro 100 and 1 ounce in it all day. no hiccups there.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

dont let him enlarge the hols until you find the prob. It sounds like the gun may be dirty. You will ruin a good barrel

11. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

This is not a problem on AL-1, AL-2, A-301 with slower burning powders. Try International Clays, PB, 7625. I've been shooting Beretta auto's sense they came out. They will not do well with light new AA's or other light loads with faster burning powders. Load International Clays, PB or 7625 with an extra-lite powder charge and 1 oz. shot. If you have a problem ejecting, it's the gun...not the load.

Good luck,

milt

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lots of diff between 301,2,3 than 390 & 391. The later guns were developed to handle a wide range of loads. The light loads didn't exist in Italy when the early guns were developed. The gas ports need to be opened with a 2mm reamer.
    I have a 301 with extensive bbl work, and it didn't work right when I got it back. I would cycle AA superlites, but not AA std 3 dram loads. I fixed it by cutting off bits of the return spring, a little at a time, until it worked.
    Once cured it has been flawless ever since.

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

DO NOT OPEN THE GAS PORTS UNLESS YOU WANT TO ONLY SHOOT LIGHT LOADS WITH THE BARREL FOR AS LONG AS YOU HAVE IT!

I have had more Beretta 300 series guns than many small-time Beretta dealers, y the obvious problem areas:

1. Gas ports need a REAL SCRUBBING!
    2. Gas system, i.e., piston, rod, tube need a REAL SCRUBBING!
    3. You probably have an AL-2 magnum spring in it (the hardest spring Beretta ever made for the 300 series).
    3. Call COLE and have him ship you a lighter spring OR, SNIP OFF ONE LOOP FROM THE SPRING AND put it back in....
    4. Best solution: Increase your powder load just a bit!
    **Personally, messing with gas ports and springs is an art that takes experience to develop. You do not want too much bolt speed because it will break off the legs off the bolt when it slams agains the receiver and/or break some of the factory links.

14. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

All very good points to consider. I load most of my 12 ga. loads with Clays, which is a faster burning powder. I bought this gun for the nice wood, and another gun to shoot skeet with, mainly with light loads. I do not want to have to shoot skeet with a hot load just to make the gun cycle. This gun is clean - gas ports, piston, rod, etc. I don't know if I should go to the trouble of changing my loads to a slower powder, snip this, drill that, all when I have several other autos that shoot and cycle fine and can be more versatile. I guess I just assumed it would cycle reasonable Loads. Dealer said he will take it back so I may take him up on that. Live and learn. Thanks again for providing me with some good info on the Beretta 302/303's.

15. blooch

blooch Member

I've got a special skeet barrel on a 303 target gun that I've opened the ports on long ago and shot tens of thousands of rounds through without a hitch since I opened them up 1/64" over stock diameter. This was Berettas unofficial cure for it's not cycling 2 3/4 dram shells; got it directly from them. I shoot anything I want to short of baby magnums (3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz)and have yet to break a piece in it. Go to a machinist supply house and get a aircraft extended, 6" long, 7/64", I think it is 7/64" and run in each port and never look back.

I guess one could always do like they used to do in 1100 barrels....do one port at a time and see if you get the desired results. Then if you wanted to shoot hotter loads tap the smaller port and plug it with an allen set for hotter loads.

16. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Interesting. I just went to garage and found a 7/64 bit. It fits in these gas ports already, so looks like somebody already tried that. I think I'd better let the dealer handle this one. If they can make it run reliably they can send it back to me, but there may be a reason someone was trying to sell it... Thanks again.

17. JH

JH Well-Known Member

If you shoot 3 or 3 1/4 dram loads in a 300 series Beretta without periodically changing the mainspring and after opening the gas ports....you will FOR CERTAIN start breaking factory links and eventually the bolt legs. FOR CERTAIN! If you haven't yet, it is because you have not shot it long enough!

18. blooch

blooch Member

Curious Bagalore, how do you know " for certain" that the loads you mention will break parts ion a 300 series Beretta?

I've got one that has shot maybe 75000 3 dram 1 1/8 oz Remingtons and maybe twice that many reloads and hasn't broken anything yet.

19. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Well, just about every 303 I have owned over the years has eventually broken the factory link if I did not change the mainspring periodically. I have had two broken bolt legs over the years because the link held and the spring was not replaced. The 303 factory mainspring is pretty wimpy. The factory links can be replaced by stronger after market links. I usually buy replacement springs from Cole that are sturdier. Remember, the 300s don't have a buffer like an X-1.

Timney used to sell hardened replacement links and trigger braces.

I can't envision shooting 75,000 rounds of 3 dram loads in a 300 series without a broken link if the mainspring is not changed often.

Jelly thanked this.
  20. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I have two 303´s one is a field and the other a trap version, both guns will eject my 7/o oz reloads fine.

In case you need spare parts, Shotgun Sports Magazine carries Beretta Connecting Rods and Hammer Braces.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_25&zenid=9c16b623052caf15f3ec1b0d343d8e95

Berettaman7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 302 and magnum shells

beretta 302 factory system

beretta 302 shotgun gas piston
beretta a 302 made until
beretta al2 gas system

my beretta a 303 wont eject the rounds

target loads to cycle beretta al2
what oz load will function in a beretta model 302 12 ga magnum