1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ber 682X receiver finish question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anthony12ga, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

I have a Beretta 682X, the ones with the black finish, and I would like to get it refinished. Like the one pictured.

[​IMG]

My question is, has anybody had one reblued with the flat sides polished and the rest of the receiver a satin finish? I saw some pictures of one done this way with a nickel finish,(like the one pictured below) but never a blued finish. Does anybody have a picture of a blued two tone?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

I believe Beretta's black dull finish is called "Bruniton".

Will a receiver with this finish polish off and take a hot blue type finish?

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Maybe Reyper or llano bill will see this thread and be able to help you out. Those guys know who does this kind of work and who the best is.

ss

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

There are several finishes. The early 682 X Traps had a supposedly lifetime "blue" finish that is different from the later 682 Gold. There are probably others. Which type do you have? I know that Beretta USA is not enthusiastic about refinishing these guns.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Beretta had so many receiver finishes that it's hard to keep track of when they made the changes.

Some of the earlier guns had a black finish, but it wasn't bluing. I was some type of "paint". Beneath the surface, the receiver was chrome plated. I've taken several of them and polished off the black and left the original "shiney" chrome.

Some receivers were just chrome plated from the factory and left that way.

Others had the "Greystone" finish. Many shooters liked that. It was a nitrided surface that wore very well.

Still some were just blued.

The current crop I haven't figured out if they just had a light flash of chrome or were nickel plated. I'm thinking it is a very, very light and quick plating, as some of the guns I seen have shown substantial pittingand wear through the finish.

To answer your question above, it would be very difficult to attain a blued/plated finish. It's not possible to blue just one part of the gun, and it's not possible to plate just one part of the gun, for both processes involve a bath solution.

To do a satin/polish finish with plating is possible. The areas you wish to be satin would be bead-blasted, and then the flats are then polished.

Doug

6. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

The 682 that I want to refinish is not a Greystone, I have a 682 Gold Trap that has the Greystone. The one I want to finish is an older 682X Trap.

I want to re-blue my 682X Trap with a satin or matte blue on all the reciever except for the flat sides and that part I want a glossy blue. I didn't want to nickel or hard chrome it, just 2 different finishes of bluing.

I know it's kinda confusing. I'll get a picture and mark it up to help describe what I want to do. I was just using the nickel finish picture as an example.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

682x trap eceiver finish

oil finish on beretta 682

receiver finishes on beretta 682