1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beomat repair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I just wondered of anyone on here has ever replaced the Sprague inside the brake on a Beomat and how much of a job it is. One of ours cannot be tightened enough for the brake to be effective so it appears that it needs replaced

2. GRUMPN

GRUMPN TS Member

The replacement is pretty straight forward but a bugger to get at. Back the allen head brake adjusting screw all the way out. You will then be able to slide the whole brake up off its mounting post spread it to free it from the target arm shaft. You may be able to clean the brake material and reinstall until ya get a replacement. When ya reinstall the new brake put a little BLUE loctite on the threads of the adjustment allen screw. You will probable need to adjust the new brake a few times as it wears in. Work room is the major issue. I have a pair of Beomat skeet machines with over 1.5 million targets through them and only had to clean one of the brakes. It just sucks getting enough room to work my fat hands in there. Hope this helped. If ya need more help just drop me an email. Ric

3. cubancigar2000

Thx Ric. The Sprague bearing is out so I have to do a complete removal. The brake looks ok so I ordered the sprague

4. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I just finished doing 1 Friday. You will need to get the trap out of the house and up on stands, I used steel saw horses. Most of the work is done from the bottom. Remove the spring.Remove the elevator assembly by taking out the 2 allen head cap screws on the side of the trap. remove the throwing arm and loosen the arm bracket on the shaft. Remove the 4 allen head cap screws that hold the arm support to the frame.Rotate the bracket and lower it out the bottom. You can know remove the snap rings and take the Sprague off the shaft. Quality replacement parts has a PFD showing parts and the adjustments needed to reassemble in the trouble shooting section. Be prepared to spend a least 1/2 a day.Hope this helps. Mark Mauch

5. cubancigar2000

Yes, it was a bugger and it took about 3 hrs but job is done and working well. I should have ordered a brake but it is real easy to put on so I am ordering that now. The bearing was $246 which seems very high? Is there any place you can buy one cheaper. ??? I used Goldenwest in Ca. I want to order a brake so maybe I will try Quality Replacement??

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Quality replacement is not much cheaper. After working several decades in the auto/truck repair field it amazes me that this one way clutch could cost so much.
    Also note now how much quieter your machine is now. I think ours lasted about 750,000 targets so thankfully it is something that does not go bad too often.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You might try Lawry's in Ontario, Canada. They sell Beomat machines and repair them. I linked the "Trap Parts" section of their web site. Contact information is also on the web site. Bill Malcolm

8. cubancigar2000

Thx guys for all the help

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Golden west for parts. No parts are cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beomat

beomat service manual
beomat skeet throwing machine
beomat trap & skeet
beomat trap machine trouble shooting

beomat trap parts

beomat trouble shooting
replacing belta on beomat trap machine