1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bent shotgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TW2, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW2

TW2 TS Member

i have an older ithaca model 37 that stopped loading properly so i put it away and forgot about it

i couldn't hit the side of a barn with it anyway

anyway, after downloading the field maint. manual, i took it apart and deburred the reciever and it now seems to work just fine

i took it trap shooting the other day, and at first i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me- as i sight down the barrel, the end of it appears to go off to the left a little bit

i haven't looked at it closely yet- i will first check to see that the thing is properly seated

but if the magazine is not perfectly lined up with the reciever and stock, what are my options?

i was thinking about a little judicious pressure using a hand pumped hydraulic press i know of

2. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Um let me answere
    Take it to a gunsmith to be fixed....

3. philk

philk Member

I`ve got a M37 Hastings cantilever slug barrel that curves upward so bad you can`t get it on paper because you run out of scope adjustment.

4. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Put it on that barrel bender Tron has pictured

Nick

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The yoke that aligns the barrel is only fixed by a screw sitting in a shallow slot in the magazine. It is possible the yoke could be sitting off to one side which would put a bow in the barrel.

6. TW2

TW2 TS Member

it turned out to be my bifocals

i had a couple of people look at it and they gave it a thumbs up

i did double check the barrel mount first

i shot a little trap with it last night and i still can't hit the side of a barn with it though

i have a pair of yellow polarized laminated single vision glasses on order

hopefully that will take the curves out of my near vision

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Smack it up a tree or telephone pole a few times...

Hope this helps.

Curt

8. philk

philk Member

Now that was funny.

9. samiam03

samiam03 Member

You should have your eyes checked - that's the sort of thing that happens when you start developing cataracts

10. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

If you are useto a real trap gun you will miss with a flat shooter. Marv

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yes, that tree smacking comment was funny. What's even funnier, though, is that several shooters on this site and at your local range will viamently defend bending a shotgun barrel. Some are even experienced, highly successful trapshooters and shoot high-end shotguns. They'll give personal accounts of how well it works and how "so & so won the Grand using a barrel bent over the tailgate of his truck." In their minds, if someone did it in 1963 and shot better, then slam-dunk -- end of discussion. Reasoning with them using logic is like talking to a wall.

One of the most incredible things I've witnessed at the trap range was a guy who took his wife's (I presume it was his wife) new looking BT100 and beat the barrel against the roof of the traphouse "to make it shoot higher like it's supposed to." Then, to our amazement, he broke it open to look down the barrel and a live shell popped out! Two of us protested and thankfully the idiot, and his embarrassed wife, were removed from the range (after a near-fistfight ensued, just as you would expect from someone of this mentality).

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.