1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bent Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perga1, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perga1

perga1 Active Member

A friend has a Kreighoff KS5 Special that shoots 10" to the left at 35 yards. The barrel is bent and Kreighoff won't do anything for him because he is the second owner. Have any of you had a barrel straightened, where, how much, and turnaround time? JRM

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Call Tom Wilkinson I know he can fix it . 919 603 0167

I had a new ALfermann bent in shipping but not as bad and it came back after a month or so .

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Be happy it's a single and not an O/U barrel!!

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'd do enough close-up POI testing to be double-dog sure the barrel really is bent. If it turns out it is, I'd find some solid pair of "levers" to use to bend it back. Here's what I use:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Really, it's all you need.

Neil

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I agree you need to really find out how bent it is first .

I shot my bent barrel from a bench off sandbags at 36 yards and it shot 8 inches to the left . Next I got a friend a non shooter that did hunt so he did shoot shotguns some . He also shot my barrel the same way as I did and it shot the same for him .

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Neil, that is what I immediately thought of but he didn't appreciate the suggestion. It has been checked by several shooters and all agree it is bent. Sarge, what I meant is they want him to buy a new barrel. JRM

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have a barrell bending jig sold by Brownells, But I also suggest Tom Wilkinson or Kerry Allor I think they can take care of it, With the naked eye you should see the bend, Take a 12 ga shell cut it off an inch above the brass
    and punch out the primer, now take a 20 ga shell and cut it off 1/2 inch above the brass and punch out the primer.

Now insert the 20 ga. shell in the muzzle end and the 12 ga shell in the chamber, and look at the reflection rings they will be circles, if all circles are equally centered the Bbl is straight.

If circles are off center the Bbl is bent, do this first and then re-check after repair has been made and you can see if it was properly fixed.

Don't rely on a laser for this check unless you are absolutely sure it is perfectly centered, it can be off center and at 30 yards if off to the side
    almost against the Bbl it will give a false refrence.

But Tom and Kerry have the set ups to check it before they do anything. And both are reasonable on their charges.

I doubt Neils benders are accurate!!! HaHa he's not serious on this.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gary, believe me I'm dead serious. The two trees are little different from the weighted wheel which was likely used to get your barrel straight in the first place.

I can't imagine why you think they are not accurate. All you are doing is taking a bend out of a barrel, How many ways are there to do it?

Jim has said several shooters agree it's bent and I've seen (factory) barrels that everyone can agree on too and so I take e Jim's word on this. It's bent. Bend it back.

Neil

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Neil how do you keep from putting severe dents in the rib using the trees, I don't think this is a very scientific way of correcting the problem w/o further damage.

I have seen Tom Wilkinson straighten and change POI at Jerry Phillips home at the Silver Dollar, and he did not use a tree.

To each his own, but I would not reccomend that approach.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I straightened a barrel on a Win.1400 30 years ago. I used the tree fork method too. This gun shot 2 foot high and 2 foot left with slugs!! My nephew still has the gun and it still kills deer with rifled slugs without fail! Bending a tube or pipe isn't rocket science! Hap

11. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

My girlfrien totaled my truck and my 90-T was in it and bent the barrel pretty bad. Sent it to Doug braker and he did a great job
    Chris teeters

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

perga1, make sure and I mean absolutely sure the barrel is bent and not the choke tube threads being the problem. It may be as simple as trying a few tubes to correct the problem. But if the barrel is truly bent then its a simple matter to correct.

Dr. Longshot, what is so amazing or disgusting about using the fork of a tree to correct a problem with a bent barrel. Many of us have persuaded a barrel to the correct POI via said method without remorse. If you truly want the barrel to stay put then a few kinks in the rib will help resolve issues of said barrel trying to attain former design. Its only a tool and not your wife!

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The forked tree system can work very well and is really not much different than the way barrels are straightened with most factory run guns. But the very top guns (rarely seen on the Trap line) or at least the most expensive guns, have their barrels straightened by a skilled worker swinging them down, with much force, on a block of wood. These guns are in the $40,000 up price range.

Pat Ireland

14. Hap MecTweaks

Pat, does that mean we should cut the tree down first? :) Hap

15. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

One day while attendind a practice session at my local club I walked out to my car to gather more shells. What I saw was a mad man beating his gun barrel against the front tire of his Suburban. Knowing the mad man quite well I was concerned. When questioned on why he was so angry he said. "I'm not angry, just making my gun shoot a little higher".

This man was/is a long time active ATA shooter. Although he was a good shot, under his direction, his two sons becane State Champions and winners at Vandalia in the Junior and Sub Junior classes.

All three shot 1100"s. All of their guns were POI "manipulateded" by this
    wildly swinging madman. I think it goes to show that barrels can be "adjusted".

Although I do not suggest you find a tire to beat your K barrel against, I would certainly give a competent gunsmith a try at straightening it before buying a new one.

Marc

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

About 5 years ago I bought a new Remington Classic Trap thinking doubles ? I shot some singles and found I could not hit crap . So I put it on paper and found it shot 8 inches low at 36 yards . I sent it back to Remington and when I got it back it still shot 8 inches low . To the apple tree I go .

The first bend was very lightly done and I got about 2 inches out of it . This gave me alot of confidence so the next bend was with alittle more force .
    That had the thing shooting flat or 50/50 I had got 8 inches at 36 yards.

It should be noted no one could tell anything had been done not a mark . So being as I like a higher shooting gun back to the tree I go . Big mistake as at some point the rib will also bend as I found out . So after fixing the rib I had a 1100 Rem that shot 50/50 . So with alittle time anyone can change a barrel to shoot higher lower or right and left .

17. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pat, I saw a barrel have its POI raised using your method except they used 2 bags of shot to beat upon. Saves a tree. It's like Hap said above "Bending a tube or pipe isn't rocket science!". JRM

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have also seen a barrel bent by forcefully banging it on a bag of shot.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Estimated costs to have another do this work for you depends on a few factors. If he says "I'll charge ya this much to bend yer barrel", it may not be too costly. However,, if the smithie says, "we need to persuade the alignment of the light rings inside the barrel internals", gitcha sum vaseline. May not hurt as much when you reach for your wallet and make ya feel better too.

Hap

20. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Years ago there was a man in the Rochester,NY area by the name of John Strong. He would use a tree fork like Niel, there was also a way to tell if the BBL was bent by holding it up and looking thru it at a incandsisent light blub. If you can see a bright ring in the BBL it's straight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

silver dollar trap range jerry phillips