Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benelli????

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  vanman 
#1 ·
I'm looking at the Benelli Auto loader for trap and sporting clays. I don't see a lot of them being used in my area. Anyone know why or what I am not seeing??

Van

#3 ·
get one you won't be sorry. only problem is if you reload. you have to pick up the hulls. i switched to an o/u for that reason. i bought another benelli later, wish i had kept my first one. find the one you like in the catalog and get your gun shop to get it for you. note: you won't find one at wally world. oz

#5 ·
A friend of mine has one and loves it for clays but I can't shoot it worth a darn. Not that its not a well built gun it just doesn't work for me. I have shot Trons 391 however and I must say it points like my Model 12 Winchester! OK, having said that I am now ready to be completely flamed and obliterated by every M12 lover on here but I think its that good!

#6 ·
Purchased a SS after using one at the gun club for a couple of weeks. The gun fits me and points very easy, for me anyway. I have shot it with sporting clays and skeet. The gun just seems to find the targets for you. Now I did shoot 2 rounds of trap a couple of days ago and have to say out of the box this, is it's weakest game. The gun would perform much better with a higher comb (available) for trap. I would almost consider weights to slow the gun down on the trap range. Most misses were because the barrel went past the target and the brain forgot to pull the trigger. Granted I have only owned a SS for about 2 weeks but the gun is worth the money. Now in 6 months to 1 year after picking up shells and forming bad habits with the SS, it could all change.

I shot 14 different O/U while searching for a gun to purchase and ended up with an auto-loader. Man I hate picking up empties but it was the best shooting gun I ran into.

#11 ·
The ONLY thing wrong with the Benelli SBE is the weight. I replaced my magazine cap with a mercury reducer from MPC Sports and bought a stock mercury reducer from Tom Knapp. It replaced the nut on the stock bolt. Also got a Limbsaver pad from Tom. It fit without any grinding. You wouldn't believe the difference in recoil, and the heavier gun swings smoother.

Where can you get a trap stock for a Benelli? Mine is the Super Black Eagle synthetic.

#12 ·
Benelli's are recoil operated which means the more weight u put on it and the more u reduce the recoil the less reliable it is. The original question was why dont u see many used ones. My guess is because they dont sell that many. At around $1500 a copy they are almost as expensive as an over under. I shoot registered clays almost every week and I have seen only two guys who shoot them versus ten times that for the Beretta 391. They are great hunting guns but have some issues as target guns.

Frank T

#13 ·
Well, still shooting the ss for trap, skeet and sporting clays. I had to pick up a barrel weight for trap, hoping it would slow down the gun. It worked but now to shoot trap, I have to put on a barrel weight and pick up shells. Well last week, I forgot to put on the weight and shot some of my best rounds with the gun. I didn't realize I forgot the weight until we were done shooting. I am thinking the weight was just for training myself to shoot trap. The question is why don't you see more Benelli auto loaders? Not sure, but price has something to do with it and then you have to ask if there is a difference between the SBE and the sporting guns? I don't hunt so I picked up a sporting gun. My personal guess is the fact that you hear the gun cycle and it spits out shells. It sure would be nice to open a breach and grab my empties like most shooters do. Is the gun better than the 391? Who the heck knows and who cares how a gun cycles as long as it does it. I would shoot the cheapest gun on the market with a smile if I hit even most of the targets I see. It's about breaking targets and having fun and not about the tool you use to do it. When considering any gun, find someone with the model and shoot the darn thing, consider it a test drive and do it before you purchase any gun

#14 ·
My Benelli SS has upped my averages the past two years simply because of it's light weight (as a trapgun) and pointability. And the fact you almost never have to clean the operating system is just frosting on the cake.

I use a rubberband (the big blue ones off celery/broccoli bunches work fine) as a shellcatcher for singles/handicap and had a deflector nub added for doubles. Side note: put the nub on the lip of the receiver cover, NOT the barrel extension.

Aside from the deflector the only modifications have been the addition of a Kick Eez stick-on cheek pad and a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad. The trigger was 6 lbs. out of the box but worked down to 4 lbs. after a couple thousand shells.

#15 ·
i currently own 5 benelli's 4 super black eagles and 1 montifeltro 20ga. all the rest are 12 ga. love them i shoot them for hunting and skeet alot. i love them for skeet they are nice and light weight so its a little easier to swing for the targets with less weight out there. so far so good no serious problems that i couldnt fix myself, and im not no gunsmith here. very easy to clean!! come apart in like 7 or 8 pieces really nice. plus no gas parts or nothing inherta driven i love it. i would suggest buying one. TJ the Dj

#19 ·
Van, to each his own as they say. I have shot the benelli SS as my son owns two (one wood, one black fiber). They both feel good to me but the black fiber shoots better to me. I have also shot the montrefelto and i liked it. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. We quit reloading so he isnt worring about the hulls hitting the ground. I prefer to shoot an over/under but i do see several benelli ss's on sporting clays courses i go too but i would say 85% of the people i see shoot over/unders. Bob.......

#20 ·
Speaking of Benelli's I have a 12 ga. Montefeltro with 5 chokes and Benelli case. The gun has a 28" barrel and you cannot tell it has ever been fired,and I am not sure it has. Metal is perfect and only a single handling ding on the toe of the stock. I'd take $800 shipped, if anyone is interested.

Drop the "AA" to email. Thanks.

Will Gurton

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.