1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli Super Sport?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hamer, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamer

Hamer TS Member

I have read many posts about 1100's and 391's but I almost never see anything about Benelli Super Sports. Does anyone here shoot one for Trap? Thoughts? I saw one at the range the other day. Great looking gun. Only Benelli I have shot is the Cordoba. It was pretty good, but kicked more than I expected.

Thanks,

David

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've seen it, handled it, it's easy to fall in love with. For Skeet and Sporting it's probably perfect. I wouldn't expect it to shoot even slightly high for trap use. But, I'm sure it's used by alot of guys for all clay sports.

3. John391

John391 TS Member

Well made gun and great for hunting but too light for dedicated clay gun. To me it kicks much more than a 391. I would think it would be a great and reliable pheasant gun. John

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Too shiny for a hunting gun. Friend used to use one - you could see it shine all the way across the water - ducks could too. The Cordoba is the same gun in a dark matt finish - get one of those ans you have an all around skeet, SC, hunting gun.

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have one and have used it for trap. It is a very good handling gun and have had no problems with the gun itself, but there is no customer service for this gun. Because I bought a left handed SBE II, the case used is the same as the right handed gun, which means you have to remove the bolt handle for the gun to fit in the case. Sure enough I lost mine. I did not want the oversized aftermarket handles available, but that is what I ended up with, because I could not get one from any retail vendor, the importer or the factory. My pleas to both the importer and the factory went unanswered. I talked to a gunsmith about the Benelli before I bought it and he warned me that while it was a fine gun, it is impossible to get parts for. I have retired mine and will someday sell it.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The Benellis I have shot were all too light for my liking for target shooting and kicked too hard. The only advantage a light gun has is in upland bird hunting where you have to carry the gun all day through the fields. Heavier guns swing smoother and kick less.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I am a dealer but I wonder at some of the comments. Do any of you shoot O/U shotguns? The Benelli may kick more than the Beretta 390 but it doesn't kick near as much as an o/u so why do you all suggest that it kicks so bad. I have several and I can't really say that it kicks more than any other auto loader but I am not kick sensitive. I've always wondered about this. I do sell both Beretta and Benelli's as well as Browning, Remington etc. Jackie B.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The Benelli Super Black Eagle weighs just over 7 pounds. It weighs exactly the same as my Remington 20 gauge 11-87. I have patterned one with 3 inch waterfowl shells. Not 3 1/2 inch but 3 inch. BRUTAL. I will never understand the Benelli craze. I don't know why anyone would want a duck and goose gun that weighs 7 pounds and kicks like a mule. Heavier guns swing better and kick less. From what I have read inertia activated guns have to be light and have enough recoil to operate the gun. I would rather have any of the gas operated autos. I have a friend that has one of the Stoeger knock-offs. He didn't have to pay the ridiculous 1000 dollar price but it kicks every bit as hard and is too light for serious shooting. The 20 gauge Benellis are even worse and swing like sticks.

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Shooting Jack

I had no problem with the recoil from my SBE II, in fact it was so slight it was a pleasure to shoot, but it could use a barrel of about 30-32 instead of the max 28 that it comes in. Just too darn fast for me.

10. oz

oz Active Member

the new comfort stock really tames recoil and is adjustable for trap. oz

11. tigerdvr

tigerdvr TS Member

First let me say that I am new to trap shooting. I shoot trap for fun and against myself. I got a heck of a deal on a Benelli SS about 5 months ago. I'm hitting 22-23 consistantly with 1oz & 1 1/8oz loads mostly Winchester.
    I did add a weighted forend cap. The most rounds I have put through her at one outing is 100. I have not had the opportunity to shot a popular Beretta but I find the Benelli's recoil very slight and it doesn't bother my shoulder at all.
    If I do my part it takes them down. In about 700 rounds, it has never failed.
    I don't know if would take the stress of a dedicated competition shooter, but for me, it works fine and I sort of like being the only one in a squad. YMMV
    Cheers, Harley

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I did add the highest level gel comb they sell to mine- and have to push my head down- its an interesting gun with that raised comb-

Like all of them the perceived recoil is more than a gas gun and the lighter weight makes actual recoil greater

All the advertised stuff is somewhat hype- but stuff like the material in the stock and recoil pad do "dampen" the recoil in my perception- but I am not sure that is any more than say a Beretta with a synthetic stock and gel tech pad-

with one of the raised combs in becomes a nice stock for target shooting and with the addition of a mercury weight- the swing gets better--

I would use one so equipped and if it suits you- good-- I do think they are suited for sporting clays and skeet- but no more than a gas gun is

I got mine in a trade so was kind of determined to see if I could make it work--- I think the super sport is the best of the guns they have made

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benelli super sport
benelli super sport for sale
benelli super sport for trap

benelli super sport problems

benelli super sport review
benelli super sport reviews
benelli super sport trap