1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Benelli Super sport???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grunter73, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunter73

grunter73 TS Member

Was looking at maybe buying one of these for my daughter, starting out. Right now she is shooting everything from my A5's to ithicas. Would this be a good trap gun for a 13 yr. old?
  2. nanuk

nanuk Member

Benelli S/S is a great gun--however probably not the best gun for her to start with. They are as reliable as a sun dial and require very little cleaning and maintaince-which is why they are frequently seen while shooting sporting clays.
    They do produce more felt recoil than she would probably prefer.
    My personal choice for her would be that you have her try a rem 1100--soft recoil--easy cleaning/maintaince--a mulitude of barrels/stocks to work with--all at reasonable cost.
    I assume cost is always a consideration so,---you can buy 3 used 1100's for the price of one used benelli S/S--and she can grow with the gun.
    Also, you will find few (if any) S/S on the trap line,--while 1100's still show up. While they are an "old design"--they remain popular and as we age, many of us seem to go back to them due to reduction of recoil.
    As always try before you buy--I'm sure there is an 1100 or two that some "old guy" (like me) would let your daughter shoot.
    regards
    Bob
  3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

While Benellis are nice hunting guns they are not popular as target shotguns for a variety of reasons. Would not be my choice.
  4. grunter73

grunter73 TS Member

I have an 1100, she has shot, got some old 48's, A-5's, but all with fixed barrells. If she was willing to get into it, I was wanting to get her a decent trap gun. What about the SX2 Winchester Trap. We've tried gold sx3, vinci's. This girl is about 5'10", not to worried about recoil. She's used to heavy loads with pheasant and turkey. Thanks for the input fellas.
  5. headhunter

headhunter Member

SX-1 might be the ticket..?
  6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

As far as autos go...probably more trap targets broken with an 1100 Trap model than any other. No need to reinvent the wheel, stick with what is tried and true. Ever think about a BT99? Another tried and true target smasher.
  7. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

A friend of mine that I shoot with bought one of those as a back up gun and also for his daughter to shoot. Low recoil, easy dis assembly for cleaning, different comb height pieces available and just a really nice auto, however way to expensive. It took him about 3 month to get and cost somewhere around $2500. For that money as some mentioned earlier you can buy several 1100 with different stock or barrel configuration for that money. I have even seen demonstrator Beretta UGB25's go for cheaper and that would be my choice if I was going to put that type of money out on an auto.

Dave
  8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I started with an 1100 trap. If I was smart, I would still be shooting it and have a lot more money in my pocket. A good BT 99 would be my second choice.

If she really gets into the sport, you can buy her a Seitz.
  9. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

I can tell you my son who just turned 13 years old shoots a SuperSport and he loves it and he is avg mid 90's with that gun I did buy the higher comb from Benelli and I added a mercury weight forestock cap great gun..
  10. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

I shoot a SS 12g and my wife (small stature) shoots a SS 20g and we both love them. Not sure where the $2500 quote came from as that is close to what I paid for both of ours in total. Low recoil, lighter weight and they cycle perfect with lighter loads. Absolute dream to clean vs some other auto's. My daughter has shot my wife's SS 20g and had no issues with it.

I also think they are very cool looking!
  11. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

I paid 2395.00 for mine I guess I got screwed! If you paid 2500 for 2 of them, and I checked all around my area before I bought and that was the best price!
  12. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I had one (Benelli Super sport), but felt it kicked too much even with the mercury weight forestock for trap shooting. it probably would be great for sporting clays. The porting is loud, I wish I had the same gun without a ported barrel for hunting, but can't get one. AJ
  13. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

just buy the cordoba
  14. grunter73

grunter73 TS Member

Thanks for all yhe info, !!!!
  15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

recoil has a cumulative effect, I doubt that she has shot 2-300 pheasants or turkeys in a single day
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.