1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli Super Sport

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TomJ, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJ

TomJ Member

Does anyone have experience shooting a Benelli Super Sport (the carbon fiber stock model)? Specifically, how much, if any, recoil reduction does it offer compared to let's say a Beretta 391. Your comments would be appreciated.
    Tom

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

To me, a 391 kicks noticeably less. After all, the banana is recoil operated and the Beretta is gas operated.

One of my friends feels the opposite so I guess individual fit trumps everything else.

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have both guns. Benelli SS and a Beretta AL391. The Benelli felt recoil is less and easyer to claen the the Beretta.
    The recoil is all in the fit of the gun. If the Beretta was so soft why do they put a kick-off system and added weight to the stock.
    The Benelli dodn't have that.

4. flyfish

flyfish Member

In my opinion, the Benelli Super Sport is one of the best guns for the money. The big thing is fit. If length of pull is a problem, RAD has a LOP adapter (which DOES NOT decrease recoil) which really helps. Because the gun has no gas piston (works on inertia), cleaning is a breeze. I have four buddies who purchased Super Sports. Other than price, not one has a complaint.

5. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I had a Super sport and wish I had never sold it. The inertia system was a snap to clean and worked flawlessly. I have only shot a 391 once...but I found the SS to kick far less and was a far better pointer. However the SS fit me way better than the 391 so I am sure that contributed significantly to things.

Dan

6. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

I have both guns and I feel that the Benelli kicks less than the Beretta. I absolutely love my Super Sport and shoot everything from skeet to 5 stand to sporting clays and even some bunker (but usually use the Browning O/U for that). I did added a weight to the front of mine because I felt it was a little light.

Joseph

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No way

I have a Super Sport and nice gun buttttttttttttttttt felt recoil is significantly higher for me and I would say 99 percent of people that pick up a 391 of the same weight and fire both interchangeably

The ads are great but all that anti recoil stuff in the ads is pure BS. If you buy one believe that stuff- good for you

Borrow one and try it along with a 390 or 391 of the SAME WEIGHT and make your own decision

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- it is not a carbon fiber stock- it is a stock painted to look like carbon fiber

8. Beni

Beni Member

Benelli all the way beni

9. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I just bought a Super Sport for my daughter to shoot Sporting Clays with. She was having problems swinging her 11-87 and needed something a little lighter. To give you some idea, she is 5' 4", 100 lbs and feels the felt recoil of the Super Sport to be less then the 11-87.

I have to say that I was very impressed the design and over all fix and finish of the gun. I am also very impressed with how well the gun stays on the target after you fire the first shot. The muzzle jump is zero and it allows you to get on the second target much quicker then the 11-87.

10. Berettawizz

Berettawizz TS Member

THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING, GO TO ANY CLAY TARGET COURSE IN THE COUNTRY AND LOOK AT WHAT GUN IS PREVALENT IT IS THE BERETTA SEMI AUTO NOT BENELLI, REMINTON, OR BROUWING, BUT BERETTA. THE INERTIA GUN IS EASY TO CLEAN BUT WHEN IT COMES TO LESS RECOIL A GAS GUN VERSEUS AN INERTIA THE GAS GUN WILL WIN EVERY TIME. I BUILD CUSTOM GUNS FOR A LIVING AND CAN PROVE TO ANYONE THAT THINKS A BENELLI HAS LESS RECOIL THAN A BERETTA GAS GUN IS SIMPLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY. THE BENELLI KICKS LIKE A MULE. PART OF THE PROFF IS IN THE PARTS, TAKE A LOOK AT THE BOLT ASSY IT IS MASSIVE COMPARED TO THE BERETTA GAS GUNS WHY IS THAT BECAUSE THE INERTIA GUN WHEN FIRED PRODUCES 850 FT POUNDS OF REARWARD THRUST WITH NO DAMPENING OTHER THAN THE RECOIL SPRING. THE BERETTA GAS GUN HAS A GAS PRESSURE REIEF VALVE TO BLOW OFF EXCESSIVE GAS ENERGY NOT NEEDED TO OPERATE THE CYCLING MECHANISM AND A RECOIL DAMPENING RECOIL SPRING. I HAVE A BERETTA 390 THAT I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING FOR 17 YEARS AND IT HAS OVER A MILLION ROUNDS THRU IT AND IT HAS NEVER FAILED TO FIRE OR BROKEN DOWN IN ALL THESE YEARS SO I DIGRESS. BELEIVE WHAT YOU WILL BUT A BERETTA GAS GUN IS WITH OUT A DOUBT THE BEST SEMI AUTO OUT THERE. THANKS GUYS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET ON MY SOAP BOX.

11. drg123

drg123 Member

I had both and sold the 390 and still shoot the SS, the recoil felt about the same to me and the SS had the best fit. - dg

12. claybrdr

They are definitely a neat looking gun with the highly polished innards. Sort of a poor man's Cosmi.

I had both the Super Sport and the Sport II version with the wood stock. Both were obviously made for midgets or vertically challenged people with the short LOPs. If it could be set up with a 15" LOP it might have fit better.

13. Beni

Beni Member

Neither of my benelli ss or my sport 2 are short,in fact my ss is a shade to long for me,no Im not vertcally challenged either 6' tall ???? beni

14. Slugo

Slugo Member

The Beretta is the predominant autoloader on the clay fields. It is shot by many more expert shooters than the Benelli. The Benelli looks and feels like it was built by the Fisher Price toy company...

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The Benelli has a crappy trigger, more recoil, and the choke tubes are so loose you play hell keeping them in the gun. 14 1/4" LOP, and a plastic stock that is a bear to increase the LOP. I'm 5'11, and shoot 15 1/4".

I've had (4) Benelli's, (2 SBE's, a SS, and an M2) and will never buy another for the above reasons. My M2 is a nice light field gun for pheasant hunting compared to the competition, but thats about it.

For recoil, Remington 1100, Beretta 391, then the Benelli.

The Chevrons work, but not good enough.

16. claybrdr

I would have been surprised to hear that a dozen people in the whole world thought a Benelli kicked less than a Beretta, much less a dozen on one message board! Go figure.

17. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I have both, and like both, but like the SS more for a different reason. to be honest you aren't going to feel that much difference in recoil one way or the other. My only reason for liking the SS over Beretta is I can hear the action of the Beretta in the stock when it cycles. I can't explain it but that tick tick after I pull the trigger is distracting. I believe the SS cycles a little faster so the action is taking place with the report of the gun so I don't hear it.

Both action types are very reliable if you keep them clean. I clean my SS every 3-5K round but lets be honest, if you want to make sure it works, keep the thing clean.

18. colth_00

colth_00 TS Member

What kind of a price do they fetch in mint condition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benell supersport problems

benelli super sport problems

benelli super sport trap
benelli supersport lop
custom stock for benelli supersport
opinion benelli supersport
stock lop benelli super sport
supersport forum benelli