1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli super black problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bulgie, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

A friend has a super black eagle in 3 1/2 inch. This gun will not cycle 3dr. 1 1/8 shells or the 3 1/4 1 1/8 field loads. Is it supposed to?? Fred

2. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Nope..........Roger

3. Littleboots

Littleboots Member

yes it should cycle any shell check cleaning

4. steele

steele TS Member

I had the same problem until I got about 500 roaunds thru the gun. Now it will even cycle 2 3/4 x 1 1/8 & 3 x 1 oz. It just takes a little wearing in.

5. JRWolf

JRWolf TS Member

I also have had problems with mine. I really would have problems when it would get real cold out. I would take it in the house and take it apart and clean it. Then put oil on the bolt rails. Would work great for a bit and then get sticky again. Finally figured out to not oil the rails. Dry is best. Just make sure the rails are clean and dont put anything on the bolt when you reassemble.

JR

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Mine cycles everything since day one.

Has he cleaned the gun yet? A buddy of mine forgot to put one of the 2 springs back in, it didn't cycle.

those things should be able to shoot with gunk, mud, water etc....

I love mine and never worry about the gun crapping out, swelling, or rusting out in any condition. I was goose/duck hunting in the pouring rain for 6 hours and was completly drenched. The gun just kept firing over and over again. water was blowing out the bolt all over my face everytime I pulled the trigger, it was like I was under water.

Threw it in the case, drove 2 hours home, cleaned the birds, took a shower, hung out all my clothes. It was about 4 hours later when i got to it. I took it apart in about 2 minutes, cleaned and dried a 6 pieces of the gun and put it in the gun cabinet.

Best hunting gun I ever got and it was worth the money not to worry about destroying it.

Besides... its the fastest shooting gun I ever had. Some-bitch sysles them faster than the X3 guaranteed!

You should have NO problem with th egun cycling. The book says it DOES need to be broken in a bit in the beginning when shooting light loads. But I never had a problem. Mine has a 24" barrell so maybe I get a bit more recoil even with the light loads??? I don't know. All i know is I hunt with 6-7 guys and we all have SBE's, beat the hell out of them, and no problems other than the one above but that was a human error not the gun.

Good luck and keep shooting that thing.

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Some of my specialty gunsmithing work involves reworking mechanisms to have smoother and more reliable action function than a typical example might exhibit. There is a certain level of variance in the finish of parts being mass-produced, since some are made when the tool is sharp, and some come off the line right before a dull tool is changed.

The parts can be improved without resorting to something as indiscriminate as polishing, since it is preferable to leave as much of the good surface metal and only remove the burrs and high spots, sharp corners, etc. That is what I do to improve the wear life of guns from the mundane Mossberg to the pricier Browning Citori and others.

Many times a shooter will be pleasantly surprised how much different a gun can feel when being tried after an action smoothing. 1100 owners have told me that they could feel the difference when pulling back the bolt, and a number of Mossberg owners had a hard time believing that those really were their parts still in that gun, since it felt so much smoother to pump. A Citori or other hinge gun will remain tight after a comprehensive mechanical improvement, but feel much easier to open and keep that treasured iron in better shape for a longer time.

Remember when you got your first trigger job on a gun, and realized what you had been missing? I have had shooters bring more guns over for improvement after their first trigger job exposure, and one guy told me it was because a decent trigger feel spoiled his attitude about his unimproved guns.

See my website to get a close look at how crooked a choke tube hole can be, and see the disaster in the making in article 3. I do precision replacement of botched choke installations, and can put my custom tubes in thin barrels that others say can't be done.

Kirby, The Shotgun Shop, 636-282-4379

8. Old Dr. Bill

Old Dr. Bill TS Member

Mine eats everything and never stops chewing.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have always said Benelli's are not reliable-- but they do have great marketing, great ads, and some good features- no doubt but they are not this dead steady reliable shotgun people have said they are

People that say they are -- usually have been told that by someone else

I have seen them misfire on the range and in the field---many times

I like the Browning gold or the reminigton 1100/11-87-- or the old A5

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=BNL-01.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Not sure but if the action spring and tube get nasty inside it will slow the action down enough to create problems. I tore down one for a fellow trap shooter. Not a SBE but a Enertia action Franchi. The tube was full of gunk and rusted pretty bad. I replaced it. super cleaning and now cycles fine. Sure cycle makes a stainless replacement.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What do you use for lube?

12. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

This past dove season I ran two cases of light target loades AA's (2 2/4 dr.)thru mine with-out a miss-fire or cleaning. But it was warm weather. I have never had a miss-fire with this gun....Rick

13. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Never saw that part in a Benelli SBE.

It only has a couple of parts:

Bolt,
    Bolt inertial spring,
    Bolt lock,
    Firing pin,
    Firing pin spring,
    Trigger assembly,

Thats it. No tubes or anything like that.

I use Ballistol for all my guns and wounds. Stuff is friggin awesome!!! Someone at the Maryland or Delaware State shoot turned me on to it and I never looked back. No pcb's, solvents, etc...

Stuff is Awesome, repels water and rust and is completly non-toxic for your skin!!!!!

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot the heaviest all the way down to trap loads, never have had a malfunction in 10 years

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Remove the stock, theres the action tube/spring/follower. This can get very nasty inside. spring can get weak and or break. also may rattle.

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Spring in the stock. I got you now!

17. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

hi...if your not going to shoot 31\2 in shells (which i don't really know why anyone would)...here's what i did....take the stock bolt out of the spring tube....it's best if you heat it up first...it has lok-tight on the threads....
    take the spring out and cut one inch off....put the cut in last....you can cut more off if you want....i cut 1 1/2 in from my (4) gun(s)...and they all work fine....when you put the spring back put some lite oil on it...and take a patch with oil and coat the inside of the tube....if you want to talk to me..email me with your cell phone number....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benelli bolt rattle

benelli problems

benelli stock sticky

rattle in benelli sbe stock

sbe misfiring

what is benelli tap problem