1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli super black eagle jamming

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff post 1, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff post 1

Jeff post 1 TS Member

I have a benelli super black eagle and this year it's been jamming after shooting my first round. Somtimes the shell will not chamber right and I'm trying to shoot my second shot and I look at my action and the action is open and the shell did not go into the barrel. Also after shooting my first shot the shell didn't get ejeted before next shell was released and they jam-up together. Has anybody had this problem. Thanks Jeff

2. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

I waterfowl hunt with some guys that have had the same problem... I talked all of them into buying a Berretta and thier problems have went away......Sorry, but after 7 years of absolutely punishing my berretta, it has not failed me yet......Good Luck.

3. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Jeff, if this problem has appeared after several seasons of shooting it I would check the bolt and make sure you have installed if correctly after cleaning. If you're unsure how to mount the bolt, get someone that knows the correct technique to show you. It can be tricky.

If the gun is new, it would go right back to Benelli and let a qualified gunsmith look it over. Short of the bolt problem, I have never seen or heard of a SBE doing that.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. At least you don't have a blown up K-80! LOL

Shoot safe, John

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My dad had one.... Traded for a Xtrema-2.

Three other guys I hunt waterfowl with have had them.... All three have switched to Beretta.

One stubborn guy swears by his.... He shoot s single shot about 50% of the time. Good thing he is pretty good with his first shot.

My dad did buy a Vinci and likes it, but kicks harder than Beretta.

I think SBE jam more than Browning Golds and I got rid of my Gold for a Xtrema-2.

SW

5. drh08

drh08 TS Member

OK, don't have SBE ( have the SS) but throwing out ideas. Knowing you have had the gun a while I will assume you know how to clean it and that isn't the problem. It sounds like the bolt isn't going all the way back. I would remove the bolt spring in the stock of the gun. Measure it, not sure what it's supposed to be but make sure it's in specs. I would also clean that part of the gun and put it back together.
    You have a snag in the action, not worth getting rid of the gun, however it's a great excuse if you need one.

6. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Get an 870, nothing more reliable in the duck blind.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I just got one of the all new "Screaming Eagles" By Benelli. It is chambered for the all new 4 1/2 inch 12ga Supermagnum shell that Federal is making for it. Never jams and kicks even harder then the Benelli SBE and SBE2. It should be a hit. Jeff

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have seen a lot of them jam- but people that own them wont say anything bad about them

They do cost a lot and they do have a lot of felt recoil- everyone will agree to that I think- if we do disagree on reliability or the lack thereof

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

My SBE-II has been dead reliable except for the time it froze solid due to spray. But anyway...

When you say the action is "open" and the shell has not gone into the chamber - is the action all the way back and locked open, or that 3/4 open that happens with some with light target loads? I know before mine was really broken in a light load would pretty regularly (say 1 out of 6) leave the action in this 3/4 state. If this is the case w/you - and you are having this happen with light loads - go shoot a few hundren 3 or 3 1/2 hunting loads.

If it is happening with hunting loads - again that 3/4 open action - you need to remove and clean/replace the recoil spring and clean the tube. Older SBE guns had steel spriongs - they will rust and create this problem.

If it is locked all the way back - you have a timing problem I have never seen with an SBE - you need a B-gun smith.

As for Berretta vs. Benelli - every single Xtrema owner I know gets light strikes regularly. Lots and lots of cleaning the bolts and fooloing with firing pin springs. Anyone else - or are these guys just unlucky??

I am looking really hard at that new Xplor. I like the wooden stock w/recoil reducer. Anyone know of there is enough meat in the stock to have it cut for an adjustable comb?? That Xplor has teh lines, weight, and bulk of the SBE but without the recoil. I REALLY like what I have seen so far.

Joe

10. bill2

bill2 Member

Jeff, what loads are you shooting? 1 oz, 1 3/8 oz, 2 3/4 inch, 3 1/2 inch mag, 1145fps, 1500 fps? Does it happen with all loads? how many rounds thru the gun? Bill2

11. Jeff post 1

Jeff post 1 TS Member

I'm shooting kent 3" 1-1/8 1560 fps also federal 3" 1-1/8 1550 fps this is the first year that its been messing up. The gun is about 11 years old. I was just wondering if anybody has had a problem like this and what they changed to fix it. I'm thingking of changing the extractor and spring also the ejector spring. I'm waiting to here from benelli on Monday. Thanks Jeff

12. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

In my opinion this is the most overpriced shotgun on the market. When they got in they raised the prices of all the shotguns and their quality isn't as good as the Beretta.

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Love my SBE II...never had a problem....seems most who like Berettas seem to overlook the thousands of 391's that they shipped with hosed up shell carriers that had to be replaced.

Nothing like slamming another guy's gun to make an insecure person feel better about themselves LOL

11 years...I would definitely be pulling the stock and looking at the recoils spring and the spring tube. Clean and lube...replace if badly corroded.

Cheers

14. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Get rid of the SBE and get the Vinci and all your jamming problems will be gone for ever.

15. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Glenn, we all appreciate your opinion, and I would say you also don't own a Benelli. Yes they are expensive, however you are going to be hard pressed to find a benelli owner say the gun is over priced.

With that being said, I believe the apparent problem with this gun has been addressed. All guns have moving mechanical parts and everything wears out, no matter who makes it.

Good luck with the SBE, hope it back in the field soon, and nope I would hate to pull the trigger with those loads too may times :)))

16. PTc

PTc TS Member

Take care of all of yor problems: Buy a Super X2/3. I've had mine a long time, no problems.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I guess I am bad luck for Beretta and Benelli owners. I hunt and shoot targets every week. My cheap Mossberg 930 has been more reliable than the much more expensive Italian guns I have shot against. My last tournament the guy with the Benelli had his fail to cycle at least 10 times. Like all the Berettas I have seen fail he said it was the first time. They always say that. But before I get too hard on them I have to remember the Perazzi over and under that failed because of a worn spring and two over and under Berettas that I also saw fail. Only a few thousand rounds so far but my Mossberg is my favorite gun to shoot now. I have gone from C class to AA class in one year with it in sporting clays. It isn't the gun it's the shooter.

18. Jeff post 1

Jeff post 1 TS Member

Yes I've gave my gun a thorough cleaning Recoil spring & plunger have been cleaded. I was just hopeing someone has already been through this and could suggest what they did to fix the problem. If I spend some money on replacement part and do the work myself I think thats cheaper than buying a new gun. Thanks Jeff.

19. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

GO FOR THE GOLD!

My Gold has never ever ever jammed in 10 years worth of use in every type of condition and with just about every type of load...It's the softest shooting, fastest cycling, most reliable auto on the market!!! What would you expect from the company that INVENTED THE AUTO LOADING SHOTGUN! BTW I was goose hunting with a guy that had a SBE and let me tell you what happened during our hunt....First flock came in, my buddy took the first shot with his SBE missed, his gun didn't cycle the 2nd shot and my Browning Gold and I were left to clean up! True Story! I still kid him about that day and shooting that spaghetti gun and always ask when he's going to go out and buy a real auto loader!

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

One item you may check is the heavy recoil spring located in the bolt assy. I just had one in this last fall that was not cycling properly and this spring was broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benelli sbe ii problems
benelli sbe not cycling

benelli super black eagle 2 jamming

benelli super black eagle jamming

benelli super black eagle not ejecting shells

benelli super black eagle problems

super black eagle 2 jamming
super black eagle jamming