Trapshooters Forum banner

Benelli Super Black Eagle Help

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  TBFA 
#1 ·
Hello all-
Wondering if anyone with this gun has experienced this issue.

Purchased a SBE1 NIB a few years ago, and it has sat until this year. Took it duck hunting this year and had a issue.
The gun seemed slow to load a round after you shoot a round. And at times, it would not fully load the round. There would be about a 3/8 to 1/4 gap from the bolt coming fully forward. I have tried 3 different ammos, and same result on all ammo. It did seem to like Federals the best. I have tore gun down and did a cleaning and still having the same issue. Went back out this wknd and had the same issue. Using Frog lube as the lubricating oil. Even had an issue where it bent the brass back on leading edge as it was trying to load. (Cheapest winchester steel shot shells). Did not do that with Remy's and Feds. Round count is under 3 boxes

Maybe I am missing something and was hoping someone could help.

Thanks in advance
Shane

#3 ·
Had the same problem with a SBE that belonged to my son. He used it in the salt marshes, and as a result the recoil spring was completely rusted and collapsed.

Do yourself a favor and replace it with a stainless "ShurCycle" unit. A bit spendy, but the end result is that it will never rust to pieces and it will also cycle any load, light to heavy.

#7 ·
The gun is new so the recoil springs should be fine. I,too, own several Benelli's and have learned in cold weather not to over lube. I have had the same issue years ago. My hunting group uses only Benelli(by coincidence)and all off us use the same cleaning method. We only lube the trigger assembly w/ Rem Oil then use air compressor to remove excess but leaves very thin film of oil. The action and receiver are not lubed. Works for me in extremely cold (5 degrees) days. I mainly waterfowl hunt and use Kent shells.

You might need to shoot 4 more boxes(4 rounds of trap) then she should be good to go! I have had my SBE1 for prob. 20 years...over 5000 rounds..w/ only 1 Roll Pin issue and an extremely quick fix. Benelli has great customer support!

#10 ·
I had the same problem when my SBE was new. I just applied some rubbing compound to the grooves the bolt slides in and ran the bolt back and forth for about 30-40 minutes. Then cleaned it thoroughly and apply light oil. It has worked great for several years without problems.

#12 ·
Not sure if Shane317 was hunting ducks in cold weather or not, I just made an assumption. Lube and Oil in cold weather inhibits the Benelli action since the lube/oil solidifies or stiffens the action. This was explained to me years ago, and sorta made sence. My Benellis have been great w/ the no lube/oil method. Good Luck!

#13 ·
Couldn't agree more, sell that, and buy a Beretta! They have been making guns for over five centuries. I used to use my 303 in competition, sometimes shooting over 800 rounds without as much as oiling, or cleaning in a weekend without a FTF, that would be a few years of hunting to duplicate, and regardless of what everyone claims, a gas gun beats a inertia gun hands down on felt recoil!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.