1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli or Beretta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD 303, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

391 for sure. Just from a recoil standpoint alone.

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

shoulder each one YOURSELF--which one makes you feel like rocks will break--which one feels balanced to YOU!!--which one has you looking right down the rib---and after you drop $1400 do you still feel confidant???---i really think , either gun will shoot mechanicly well--goodluck

3. Prettywood

Prettywood Member

Mr. BurgosO5, I'll start by saying that I agree with everything acss said...I will say however that you'll need closer to $1800 for a new Super Sport and close to $2000 for a new 391 Teknys...and with all due respect to BAD 303 I'll bet he hasn't shot the new Performance Shop Benelli Super Sport that
    Benelli sends to Briley and they lengthen the forcing cone, back bore to .733, trigger job, anodized bolt closure, release button, re-laser the crio chokes and build and include a Briley Skeet and LM also anodized in red...$2500 and worth every penny...now that's just my opinion 'cause I just bought one about a month ago and OMG what a "Crusher"! I also have a Teknys Gold Sporting which I truly love to take to the S/Clay woods as well...I purchased a Blaser Attache F3 for my sporting clay gun about 2 yrs. ago...one day I took my Teknys out and haven't put it down...that is til' I picked up the Benelli! I like to shoot all my guns, they all fit, and they all bust'em up! I shoot NE Ohio/NW PA S/Clay circuit and I can't believe how many autoloaders I see...Pick either one and have a ball! Lastly, an elder shootin' partner who's down in Florida for the winter just shot a Browning Maxus Sporting and was really impressed with fit and feel...he shoots a K5 and also has a Teknys...Good luck w/ your decision, but do Google Benelli Performance Shop!!! Tim

4. oz

oz Active Member

get the benelli with the new plastic recoil absorbing stock. works great. Look at the vinci also. beretta would be my second choice. oz

5. autogun

autogun Member

I have both in the plain jane form and if I were you, I would go with a used plain 391 for less than 1/2 the price. Both are excellent guns. The 391 is more likely to feed very light loads which you will come to if you shoot enough. Avoid plastic like the plague--transmits recoil, to you, much more efficiently than wood. You can buy either used in great shape for 7-850 and if you decide to switch, get your money back in a flash. That's my .02 cents.
    David Vandercoy

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Benelli is owned by Beretta...the customer service for both of them suck.

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I wonder why so many top shooters shoot the 391?

WNCRob

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

There is nothing complex about the Beretta gas system and there is nothing complexed or has to be done anymore frequent than any other gas gun. I own two target 391's and like them very much. Though not my primary trap gun but, could see it being so if I chose to.

I love the fit and feel of the Benelli autos but don't own one. May consider one in a sub-gauge sometime in the future.

9. team henges

team henges TS Member

Always benelli

10. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Go with the GAS gun, they don't have anywhere near the recoil that the inerta driven guns have. Go to a range where yo can rent either one and shoot 200 rounds thru each.

I'd make a bet you choose one of the Beretta GAS guns over the Benelli.

Benelli makes a nice mechanical gun. But for my hard earned $ I'd stick to the gas operated beretta guns that doesn't kick. I'll have better scores and won't have any shoulder issues later.

Best of luck

11. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Benelli Supersport is the way to go between these two.

100 times out of 100.

It ain't even close......

(also, the Supersport is a very low recoil gun, not sure why people think otherwise)

12. Beni

Beni Member

Go with what YOU think the better value would be. Compare fit, price,reliability, and eye appeal. Personally Im a benelli guy, I own or have shot every model they have and every vareity of shell through them and have never been kicked by one. I also have shot several Berettas in hunting and target situations and also have not been pounded. i can tell you in all honesty mine have never failed me and they will cycle anything at anytime. The Benelli Super sport would be or should I say was my best buy , good luck beni

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

OK, so I am lucky enough to have both and find they are different enough that you need to shoot both before you decide. The 391 is heavier up front due to the gas system in the fore end. Some folks find this helps them swing on targets better, other like the light "get on target now" easy of pointing the Benelli. The 'Nelli does require a more deliberate swing, but man does it get on target fast.

Recoil? The 391 Teknys is one of the lightest shooting guns out there in large part thanks to the stadard recoil dampner that comes with that model Beretta. A Basic 391 does NOT come withone and kicks, IMHO every bit as much if not more than the 'Nelli (neither of which is very much, but way more than the Teknys).

Cycling? Once broken in both will cycle standard target loads flawlessly. If you hand load light 7/8 oz loads (like I do), you may need to up the velocity on them (I load 7/8 at 1300 fps) to ensure the SS cycles. My Teknys will cycle 7/8 at 1100 all day.

Cleaning/maintenance? The 'Nelli wins this hands down. No comparison.

Intangibles? The 'Nelli is slim, light, and an overall slick, modern gun. The Teknys is a little heavier - still slim with the OPTIMA stock, and a very nice looking gun.

Shoot them both - buy the one that doesn't leave you missing the other. I tend to shoot my 'Nelli more than the 391. A lot more to be honest - but that's just me. The 391 is the KING of the Sporting Clays range, and those guys are hard on guns.

Ducks

14. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Mr Ducks said this......

"The 'Nelli does require a more deliberate swing, but man does it get on target fast".

That is very well put. I don't know what it is about that gun but you almost have to be careful to not overswing targets because it's such a quick gun. I would think for a sporting clays guy this would be a huge factor.

He's also right about the cleaning. So simple to clean, everything breaks down easily and you can clean every inch of the gun. I think this is one factor why these guns rarely jam.

15. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

The Benelli's are good mechanical guns. However if you're looking for the most bang for your buck....

If you like the heavier gun for better swing, go with a Beretta 391 Teknys or the Beretta Xtrema II.

If you like light and fast pointing, the new Beretta A 400 Xplor leaves every semi-auto in the dust. It's 1 lb 2 ozs lighter than the Benelli even with the kick-off recoil system. It combines the best of Benelli & Beretta into a simple easy to clean gas gun that points fast, requires no "break in period" to shoot any shell 2 3/4, 3 or 3 1/2 or any combination no problem from day 1 right out of the box! That's not all, it's also the softest shooting gun on the PLANET!

Before you buy any semi-auto, go shoot a Beretta A 400 Xplor. You won't want to stop shooting, you won't want to give it back and you'll be looking to buy one as soon as you can or as soon as you give up the try gun or rental gun!

Shoot well, often and safely!
    Tom

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Benelli is hard to beat for a hunting gun, but a very poor choice for clays. They have terrible triggers, harsh recoil in comparison to a gas gun, far fewer accessories that are available and very limited stock adjustability to name a few.

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Tron there you go again stating the facts. Nothing is wrong with the Benelli just does not handle well for sporting targets. And the limited accessories and adjustability leave it less desirable for the clays games. But it is an awesome gun.

18. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Tron, is your opinion based on having owned or shot the SS to any degree? Or are you just speaking to Benelli in general?

19. Beni

Beni Member

There is all kinds of adjustability for the Benelli,never had a bad trigger on one and it shoots as well on any clay game,lets face it they arent 12,000.00 dollar Kreigoff guns either. beni

20. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

The Teknys adjustable stock hardware is junk - but it is better that the stock inserts for the 'Nelli. If you can get an adjustable stock on a 'Nelli - you're in business. I sent my SBE-II stock to Tron to see if he could do anything with it, and he said no. Might be worth getting an SBE wood stock just to be able to have it cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.