1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli Legacy Sport for Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Customf1, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

I am thinking of buying a Benelli Legacy Sport 12 GA - 28 in Barrel and wanted to get some of your valued opinions on it. I will mainly use it to shoot trap. I held it today and it fit perfectly. I like that fact that its light 7.5 lbs which I know is contuary to what a trap gun is supposed to be which is "heavy". I have been using my Mossberg 500 to shoot trap and its about the same weight and LOP as the legacy sport . I wanted to treat myself to a nice engraved gun that feels good and still have the consistently to shoot in the low 20's as I currently do with Mossberg. I do not expect to get into competitive trap shooting. At this particular time the legacy seems just right for me. Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

I have owned several Benelli's over the years and just happen to have a Legacy Sport in my safe right now. never had a benelli that did not work as describe. When I first started shooting skeet my friend and mentor was a Benelli super 90 shooter. At one point he went over 100,000 rounds without cleaning that gun and it never failed to function. As I recall, he had nothing to do one New Years day (ranges were closed) and he decided to clean his gun, darn thing started jamming and had multiple failures to feed on the very next round. anyhow, you can't buy a better gun for the money, but is it the gun for your needs? If it were compared to a new pair of shoes, I'd say they will be great for walking, you could run in them but they are not running shoes. they look good but are not dress shoes, they are not work boots and not house slippers. If you are looking for a nice pair of shoes and they fit, then go with your gut and budget. I know, answers like this is why we all own a room full of guns. No one gun can do it all. By the way, my Benelli won't adjust high enough for me, so make sure it fits because they are not east to install adjustable combs on. Jack

3. Tarpon Hunter

Tarpon Hunter TS Member

I started skeet/trap shooting 4 months ago but had a total joint replacement of my right shoulder a few years ago. Recoil was a major concern. I was at Bass Pro Shop and ready to buy my first shotgun, a Beretta semi-auto, when the salesman put a 20 gauge Benelli Cordoba in my hands. It felt "right" compared to all the others plus the ComforTech stock was totally adjustable. I hesitated because it wasn't a gas recoil system but went ahead and bought it anyway. The Cordoba has no recoil. I shoot 7 rounds without any discomfort. So now I wanted to check out a 12 gauge Benelli.

The gun club has a 12 gauge Sport II which I tried. It was awesome. No recoil and shot well. It's basically the same gun as the Legacy Sport just not as fancy. Like you, I wanted a nicer looking gun and this fit the bill. As ovaljack mentioned, it might not fit you since the comb is too low and not adjustable. That is my problem as well, but easily fixed with a Beartooth Comb Raising Kit. I have it on the Cordoba and love it. It's $23 vs $99 for Benelli's ComforTech® Gel Comb Insert which is a fixed height. The Beartooth can be adjusted by 1/16" increments to any height you want. The only downside is it covers most of the wood on the stock but is easily removed. Good luck. It's a beautiful shotgun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benelli legacy for trap shootng
benelli legacy forum
benelli legacy sport
benelli legacy sport 12 recoil
benelli legacy sport for trap
ris benelli legacy 12 ga goo trap gun
views on the benelli legacy sport

views on the recoil of a benelli legacy sport