1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BENELLI GUNS, WHAT MAKES THEM SO SPECIAl?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    Went shooting this weekend, two guys walked in and each had Benelli semi autos. they had black synthetic stocks. i asked to shoulder one of them, first thing that i noticed was how comfortable the material is that they use for the stock. i know nothing about these guns other than they seem rather expensive in my opinion. i asked if they made a trap model and they said no, but you can use them for trap. i went to another club talked to a friend who stoped shooting trap and took up sporting clays and 5 stand. he said he has a semi auto benelli too, and said he thought it is a better gun the the beretta 391, that he also has. he said these guns most likely won't break down. i told him anything mechanical will break down. he said he will match his benelli against any semi auto on the market. he said they are pricey, but thats what you pay for quality. i have two questions, why don't they offer a trap model, and what makes this gun so special compared to other guns, especially the beretta, who i consider to have the best semi auto on the market? by the way, my friend said years ago he would go duck hunting and go through a couple 1100's because of break downs. he said his beretta 303 was a good gun, but the benelli beats them all, plus it's a great gun in the field. so what makes this gun so great?
    steve balistreri

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

My son hunts the salt marshes in California for ducks, and over the years has used up two Winchester pumps, an 1100, and a Beretta. He's rough on his equipment and demands the most from them.

He switched to a Benelli some years back and will now use nothing else.

I bought an Ultra Light in 12 gauge and positively love it, especially for skeet. A bit tough on the shoulder with field loads, but hey, I like the idea of having to carry a gun all day that only weights 6 lbs

The inertia recoil system seems pretty fool proof; sure a lot less parts to fail.

Kiv

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Benellis are great guns. Few moving parts, easy to clean. Their only faults are recoil and a crappy trigger. You may get a 3.5 pound trigger, but it will have a lot of creep. I had a Benelli Sport and got rid of it cause I could not get it to shoot high enough, and their factory stocks are only 14 1/4" LOP. If you own a Carbon stock, extending the LOP will be tough and costly. I needed 15" LOP.

You don't see many at the big sporting shoots. Actually, I've never seen one except mine when I shot it.

I traded it for a Beretta Teckny Trap, and I shoot sporting with that.

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Benelli's are beautifully engineered and will stand up to most anything....but they're recoil operated and will do a number on you in a competition.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Gary, I'll bet ya Benelli does a little polishing and touch up on Tom's guns. Maybe even a trigger job? I think they are great hunting guns. I've owned 4, and still have 2.

6. bill2

bill2 Member

Minimal muzzle jump on SBE II. Easy to clean. Bill2

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Easy to clean and work flawlessly. Crappy trigger, shoot too low and too light for serious competition!!

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Shot one a few times. It worked well but the trigger sucked and it beat hell out of me.

BB

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i had the pleasure of eating lunch w/ tom knapp-- his benellis are right out of the box. when he travels to some countries abroad, they must ship them in and when the show is over ,the guns are raffled off.--- i personally LOVE beretta-everyone has a differant feeling- they(benelli) have done a great job at promotions and pushing the "need" for 3 1/2" guns!!!!---the public was just waiting for a black gun!!---------- one more thot, in 30 or 40 years many of us will have estate sales---which of the above guns will be heirlooms or bid on for their history or legend???

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Gary:
    thanks for the link. video was impressive.
    steve

gene303:
    the trap gun looks like it crunches targets.
    steve

11. emm2

emm2 Member

Straight out of the box huh acss? How many 10 shot Benellis come from the factory. I have been to a show Tom Knapp put on and one one first things he said was Benelli made this gun for him.

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

my appologies- yes they do add the magazine tube but his comment was- out of the box- meaning-all that fancy stuff like trigger work didnt intrest him! i'm just telling you what he said!!!

13. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Benelli has a performance shop that you can order a trap gun from. Heres the link to that page.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_performance_shop_hunting_and_competition_shotguns.php

14. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I have a Benelli Cordoba that I bought four years ago to hunt and shoot trap with. Shot thousands of 1250fps loads through it and thousands more 1200fps loads and can honestly say that as of yet, I have never had one jam or gun malfunction. Easy to clean and a pleasure to shoot. The recoil is mild for such a light gun. There are alot of sallys out there that will complain about the recoil of even a 20Ga. Neil

15. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Sold my Benelli's after a few seasons. I bought a Beretta Extrema II. It takes a bit more to clean but it's heads and tails above the Benellis.

16. Loyac

Loyac Member

Watch what Tim Bradley thinks of his Beretta Extrema 2

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned and shot several different Benelli's. I owned the SBE I and hated it. I have owned more than one SBE II and thought they were the cats ass untill I purchased the Vinci. The Vinci is night and day better than the SBE II. That thing just fits me like a glove. I have shot mine at doves,pheasants,ducks and geese with several different kinds of loads from the lightest target loads up to 3" steel magnums without a hickup one.

18. oz

oz Active Member

I have had several benelli's. I traded my montefeltro and now have a Vinci. I love it and you can get a raised comb for it. Of course the stock is adjustable for drop and left hand too. It weighs less than 7 pounds and does not kick hard. I use it for trap and sporting clays. Buy one you'll like it. Also the other gun companies are raising their prices so that you'll think they compare to the bernelli, they don't oz

19. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Not my first choice for a trap gun, but I love mine for sporting clays and general field use from rabbits to other furry and/or flying game. Extremely clean!

In fact I am so happy with that inertia system that when I get some extra spending cash I am going to retro a couple ar-15's of mine.

I have talked with a couple armour's for some rather large departments. They have or are in the process of switching their rifles over to this.

My point is that anything semi-auto or full auto that is not run on gas is cleaner and cooler, both which tend to add longevity to the gun's life.

Is this necessary for a trap gun? Absolutely not, this system is in fact an overkill, but hey who doesn't like overkill?

Mash on the link and watch some fun videos. This system works especially well with silencers as far as keeping everything incredibley clean. If you have shot a full auto or even semi auto with a can on it then you understand how gunky everything gets. Not so with this system!

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The only thing special about Benellis is the price. They are very cheap to produce. They are probably the most overpriced auto on the market today. Being light and inertia operated they kick like a mule. They are too light for serious target shooting not having enough swing and too much recoil. That is why you don't see them in sporting clays, skeet or trap. They are reliable to a point. If you don't like to clean your gun then they will go longer between cleanings than a gas auto. If you keep your gas auto clean they are just as reliable. I have seen several Benellis malfunction while shooting. Several of them. The last time I shot a sporting clays tournament against one, one of the very few times, it malfunctioned at least 5 times. I didn't say anything to the owner but you are only allowed 3 then they are lost targets. I would take any gas operated auto before I would shoot a Benelli. I shoot a Remington and a Mossberg. Don't laugh at the Mossberg. It is a very reliable gun and I shoot it very well at skeet, trap and sporting clays. It cost 400. The Benelli, which I wouldn't trade even for, cost over 1000 dollars. The Benelli is all plastic and my gun has a Walnut stock. My gun kicks far less and swings smoother. If you want a very light weight field gun to carry all day on an upland bird hunt a Benelli would fit you well. If you want to mix in target shooting and magnum shells I wouldn't want one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benelli sbe ii loose forearm

does benenellli make a trap gun

sbe 2 forearm loose

what makes benelli better guns

what makes benelli guns so great

what makes benellis so special