1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

------------BENELLI FOR TRAP--------------

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wbill, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbill

wbill Member

Has any one tried to put a trap stock on a Benelli auto and done any good with it? Bill

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Controlling the whippy barrel might also be part of the deal.

HM

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't see the Benelli guns on the trap line except for the occaisional pre-season warm ups by bird hunters. I have never owned a Benelli but it seems like the guys that do have them make a lot of excuses why the gun won't cycle. I have heard things like 'well I just cleaned it and it needs to get a little dirty before it works' or the 'these target shells are too light'. Kind of odd for guns that are heavily advertised as being completely reliable.

Put it this way, if the Benelli guns shot and functioned as good as advertised, you would see them on the trap line commonly like you do see the 391 Beretta and the 1100/1187 Remingtons.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Benelli for WHAT?..Why???

Too much barrel and bolt movement for any use vs. almost any other auto.

May be somewhat reliable, but so are most other autos. My most unfavorite auto, and auto shotguns are all I shoot (for recoil reasons ONLY).

IMO

milt

5. texasaggie2000

texasaggie2000 Member

I shoot a stock Benelli Super Sport with the 30" barrel for trap a lot, and it works just fine. The new stocks (comfort-tech stocks) have a semi-adjustable comb (inserts that allow you to raise the height only) and shims to move the POI.

The only shell deflector that will fit it is the Birchwood Casey Catch-All that I have on mine and while I hate the way it looks, it functions fine. I would guess a gun smith could put in a pin type deflector...I just never really pursued it.

The barrel is light, but there are weights for that. As for performance, mine has never had a problem and about all I shoot out of it are light 1 oz loads. Only real problem with it is that the triggers are sub-par compared to most "trap guns" but I am sure a competent gunsmith could remedy this.

I have shot with a kid that had a Speedbump Stockworks stock on his and he shoots it lights out.

I think they reason you don't see more of them is the percieved additional recoil as compared to the gas autos and the "whippiness" that comes from having a hollow fore end and no gas components to weight it down, which can be fixed with an add on weight.

For what it is worth, I have never seen another one on the line, but I believe that is primarily due to the fact that they are a little pricey and are considered to be sporting clay guns.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Too light, not a lot of accessories available (when compaired to Beretta or Remington autos), limitited to what modifications can be done without effecting the inertia system, can't handle light loads reliably and the triggers suck.

But great field guns.

JMHO,

Tron

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

to much $$$$$ for what you get.

8. wbill

wbill Member

Thanks to all for your replys.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's, Benelli offered a trap gun in thier line.

10. dednded

dednded TS Member

Texasaggie2000,
    I have a very inexpensive shell catcher on my S/S.
    Take a stiff backed razor (single blade),sand the cutting edge a bit so it won't bite.Slide the blade between the top of the receiver and the barrel.It will fit snug and catch the hull.A quick check after each shot just to make sure it stays put.If it does come out it'll drop at your feet.I sanded the edges well on mine and taped the stiff edge with tread tape for grip.It works GREAT.
    The gun works great for trap in fact since I started shooting it,2 months now, my KS 5 is in the stable.I added a 7oz barrel weight and another 7.5 in the stock cavity.Took a bike inner tube filled with shot, tie wrapped at both ends and it fits snug behind the removable butt plate.I use the medium height comb.Everything added comes off in seconds and your back to a nice weight field gun.Regards,Chris

11. zucksrq

zucksrq TS Member

a picture of this would be helpful.

12. dednded

dednded TS Member

zucksrq,Not a problem,I'll take a photo to-night and post it in the A.M.It is so simple it's scary.Chris

13. drh08

drh08 TS Member

OK, I am sure you are going to get benelli lovers in an uproar with this post. I shoot a Super Sport with a shell catcher on the trap line. I wouldn't dream of shooting a SBE anything or any benelli that wasn't designed for clay shooting as a hunting gun balances and shoot different that clay shooting guns do. So please don't complain about how a SBE doesn't cycle a 1 oz load, it wasn't designed to do it from the start. That being said, you are correct about not seeing Benellis' on the line, mostly because the gun is very very fast. Trap seems to require a heavy slow moving gun as that is pretty much all you see on the line. I started shooting trap with weights on the gun and removed them after some time. As the gun is so fast and light you can crawl up and over a target pretty quickly, something that is much more difficult with a heavier gun. I find the trigger actually pretty good, mine is as smooth as most that have been to a gun smith. I will say that American trap shooting is not what the gun was designed for and probably it's weakest game to play with. It was designed and functions much better with faster games like skeet, sporting clays, international trap etc.

14. Kent

Kent TS Member

Maybe 8 or 9 years ago I bought the Executive model while just window-shopping at a Paducah, KY gun store. It had beautiful wood, nice engraving and it was the easiest auto to disassemble and clean that I have ever seen. It was more of a sporting gun but my idea was to make a doubles gun out of it. It shot pretty well at sixteen yard and doubles targets but it was still a kicker. I played with every gizmo to retard that recoil. I eventually put a gracoil on it and then found it would not cycle my light 1 oz double shells. I eventually traded it off for another Citori. Oh, it did not have a shell catcher but did not throw the hulls as bad as the Beretta's do.

15. texasaggie2000

texasaggie2000 Member

Chris,

I would love to see a picture, you are clearly smarter than I am!

drh08 - I agree with you, as I have old super 90's that I love, and they function the 1oz shells fine, but I realize they are not designed for it. I too took off all the "stuff" and shoot my benelli stock. I am a young, relatively new shooter, but seems to me that lots of targets were broke with old pumps that would be too light and whippy by todays standards, but that is just my opinion. I love mine because I can shoot everything with it and I do. I might never make the 27 with it...but I think it would be fun to try.

16. oz

oz Active Member

I used one for years. you don't need a comb as the stock is adjustable. shells laand in between stations. if you want to keep the hull in the chamber I used a rubber band around the receiver. oz

17. dednded

dednded TS Member

Texasaggie,E mail me and I'll send you the photos of the "shell catcher".Chris

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

some people just won't buy an 1100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benelli for trap
benelli shotgun for trap
benelli trap

benelli trap gun

benelli trap guns

benelli trap guns for sale