1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli dont fit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooshkat, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Just got back from SD bird hunting, i missed alot more birds than i got. I bought a Benelli Montefeltro a couple years ago and no matter what shims i use this gun just dosent fit me. I was at sheilds yesterday and checking out shotguns and it appears that almost all the wood stock Benellis dont fit but all the synthetics do, i guess its time to get rid of the old and get new, just wish they werent so pricey,guess i better start saving.

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Shoot it on a pattern board and see where the point of impact is, then you will know the truth. Just because the beads line up doesn't mean it shoots where you are looking. All my bird guns shoot what is called 50/50, meaning when shooting at a spot on the pattern board that half of the pattern is above the aim point and the other half is below.

If you have to move the stock to get the gun to shoot where you want it too, remember to move the stock in the direction you want the shot to go. There are a lot of good gunsmiths that can do this for you.

Tom Strunk

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It was probably your gun mount- and aiming at the bird not stock fit

most people dont know what fits them--- just because something feels good when you mount it in a store doesnt mean anything really.

Remember you can sand on a wood stock if you need to though

The other thing about Benelli's is that they rattle your teeth when you shoot- that might be having an effect- think gas operated for your next gun

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. yansica1

yansica1 Member

It all depends on how well you shoot in general. Just because the Benelli fits you (if it does) or shoots where you look on a pattern plate, does not mean you`ll shoot well with it. It may just be that you simply don`t get on with the gun. I`ve had perfectly well fitting guns that I couldn`t shoot as well as others. It may for instance be too light, hence whippy for you? Light guns move fast and stop even faster.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

When you say it doesn't fit, what do you mean? You are too far over the rib? To the side of it? Too low?

What ever the problem be, it will have a fix of some kind that won't cost much.

Neil

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about my answer to you and see that Gene from Iowa as already posted what I have been thinking about your problem.

May I suggest that you buy a copy of the May/June issue of "Shooting Sportsman" magazine and read the artical written by the recently deceased Michael McIntosh on gun mounting when shooting wild birds. This is a lesson I learned early on for both bird and clay target shooting. Mounting the shotgun to your face FIRST is the secret to consistancy with shotgun shooting.

I shoot trap most of the year, but hunt wild Quail and Huns in the fall and winter. I hunt behind three French Brittany's, two German Shorthairs, and one English Pointer.

Remember, the gun mount is the key to consistancy. Practice, practice, practice. Wish you the best, good luck. But be sure and do what I said on my first post.

Tom Strunk

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Benelli's tend to shoot very flat. Some shooters, especially trapshooters, prefer a gun that shoots a bit higher!!

8. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I have been thinking about what you guys are saying and when i go to the face first and think of what i am doig it really does make a difference. In the excitement of a bird going up i go to the shoulder first and then the gun is tipped upward as a trap gun would be, and i am probably shooting over them. If i go to the face first i look down the rib flat, now i will practice my gun mounting. Thanks Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.