1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli choice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rw993, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I am trying to decide on a "home defense" shotgun. Looking at Benelli Nova (18")or M3. I like the idea behind M3 but don't have any read on dependability. Anyone have experience with the Auto/Pump combo?

I do not want the Pistol grip version or M4. Well, I don't need it, want maybe!!

Ron Wilson

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ron,

I don't know much about Benelli shotguns. That being said, if I were in the market for a home defense shotgun it would come down to one in a hurry. The Remington 870 has proven itself time again as one of the most dependable shotguns around.

There are many based off of the 870 so you can get whatever you want.

Just my thoughts.

ss

3. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I have a bounty hunter II in 12ga., sxs ,20in barrels choked cyl and cyl that I will sell for $200.

4. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Thanks, I have not read anything negative as far as function and Mr. Mclellan is the 2nd to confirm. Off to the market!!

RW

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I like the nova and 870's too. You can't change the butt stock on the nova to something different/tatical like you could for an 870. The nova stock and reciever are one piece, you may already know that. Millions of 870 barrels out there as well.

6. oz

oz Active Member

benelli auto!!!!! had a nova and did not like it. oz

7. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

rw933, if you haven't bought and since Benelli owners seem somewhat sentimental, just visit a few sporting clays courses and you may find your dependability info.

870 or Model 12

8. philk

philk Member

I have a Benelli H&K M190 and really like it. Surefire taclight forearm. Eats buckshot like crazy. Just be forewarned of the Benelli click.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

We wonder why we don't make anything in America anymore. Look right here. America makes and has made the best pump shotguns in the world.

10. atashooter

atashooter Member

I have a M-2. I love it. I wanted an auto that was Inertia Drive, due to I'm not enthusiastic to shotgun gas systems. HOWEVER... The inertia Drive is heavy on recoil with 00 buck or Magnum loads.

11. philk

philk Member

So true but I had a M37 8 shot that was just plain brutal to shot buckshot with, would never go back to a pump.

12. Beni

Beni Member

The Nova is kinda blocky in the hands, any of the autoloaders will work just fine. Beni

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Your choice for a HD shotgun is not my first choice and not what I have but to each his own.

One of the shotguns I hunt with is a Benelli Super Nova 28" barrel, Advantage MAX-4 camo. I love it would highly recommend it.

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

A home defense gun can be any gun. Just get what you want. Thats a gun thats could rust up before you use it. I hope you never need to use you gun for defense.
    Why not get a sporting gun or a field gun and go out and have fun with it.
    If you do need to use the gun for defense it would feel right in your hands and you know wee it shoots.

15. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

I have both an 870 Rem. and a Benelli Nova,,, the Benelli is my favorite of the two. I feel the benelli fits me better,, long arms,, and has less felt recoil. The Remington seems to shoot slugs better,, the slug barrel for the Benelli costs more than I paid for the shotgun itself,, though I have heard they are excellent, I personally do not like their sights. Either way, you can't go wrong and Mossbergs are very sturdy as well and reasonably priced.

Jeff

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

As long as you can get to it or is easily accessable any gun is better than none but, in my opinion a shotgun is better than a handgun hands down. Loaded with buckshot. Sometime you have to have a seperation between your target shooting shotgun and HD shotguns. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with even breaking it out to shoot some stationary paper targets with once in awhile. You'll know how it shoots. How do you know the guy doesn't already own target or field guns. But, I agree with you, get what you want for that purpose.

17. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Why get a nice one? Get a mossberg pump and cut the barrel down. Chances are you will only use it once. Small, cheap, easy to use with the safety on top. Mossberg 500

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.