1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of using 1 1/8 oz 7.5 vs. 1 oz 8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

After reading that a lot of shooters use 1 oz 8's for handicap & singles if there is any benefit to one over the other?

I think the pellet count is about 15 more on the 1 oz 8's if I'm correct.

I'm not trying to answer my own questions but I would like confirmation if what I'm saying is correct.

1) A few more pellets should be a good thing
    2) Lighter shot means a better uniform pattern and less "flyer pellets"
    3) The shot will have a better velocity due to the lighter weight of the shot cup

Please clarify if what I said is right or wrong

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

1 oz. 8 1/2's would be better from the 16. IMO. Jon

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The mantra from the 1 1/8 of 7 1/2s group is that they want the hardest hetting pellets doing the job, more energy per pellet. The other group understand there is, in fact, more pellets of 8s in a 1 oz. load and amazingly, they just might shoot better scores with a bit of reduction of recoil with the lighter, 1 oz load. There's the logic of the two views. The comparison also adds to the 7/2s vs 8s debate that will never be finished; without that, what could we argue over?.....breakemall

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

BDodd.......Your answer would bring other questions to mind.

How much energy is needed to break the target? If 1oz of 8's has enough energy then why the overkill?

But your last sentence says it all. lol

By the way I use both.

Bill

5. open choke

open choke TS Member

BDodd.....

Let's say they are bot the same dram load/muzzle velocity does change much?

I was always told the recoil depends more on the amount of powder for target loads b/c they are so close together.

Am I correct?

6. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I used to shoot 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2s at 1200fps for years. After about 12 years of that i bagen to have problems with maintianing my average and found myself dropping tatgets more often at the end of a long day of shooting. At the time I was shooting a lot with Bob Schultz in NC. Bob owns the company Target Shotguns and was the NC Handicap champ. for many years.

Anyway, Bob recommended that I try 1oz. of #8s at around 1200fps. I had doubts and told him so. He then revealed that he shot this load at the fence and smoked 'em with it. He then proceeded to shoot a round from the fence to prove it to me. Smoke it was! He enlightened me about recoil and its cumulative effects on the body. Bob believed that that was my problem.

Tried his solution and ,guess what, IT WORKED! Now I shoot that load from 16 and in 'caps. Works great and doesn't beat me up.

7. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Right now I am shooting a light field gun, and I love the 1oz # 8 load. I notice an extreme difference in recoil. This weekend I am picking up my first trap gun, so I may change back if the recoil is better due to a heavier gun. Right now its all about less recoil for me.

edit: I guess I should add that my scores have not gone down at all, and I havent noticed a different in my breaks.

8. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Last night I shot a 25 with 7/8 oz 7.5's at 1200 fps.... I can't image how I would have done if I stayed in a Holiday inn express too. My advice just stick with one load and focus on fundamentals. Trying to determine if you missed targets because of your load or choke is crazy. Like Frank Little said chokes and loads may account for 1 or 2 birds in a thousand you miss.

9. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

1 oz. from the 16 is great, and for less recoil I use 1150 FPS. Just a personal choice, but I am not to far off.!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.