1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of fast loads ? More info please ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DOWN UNDER HUNTER, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

DOWN UNDER HUNTER TS Member

Hey guys !

I have never been too fussy about the ammo I have been using. Most around the 1250fps with oz loads.

I had a practise seesion the other night and shot some stuff going mid or high 1300's and just seemed to nail a few more ? Not sure it had anything to do with the loads, but just got me thinking. Most or the targets were fast crossing targets 30-45 yards. Maybe I was previously missing these birds behind the week before and that little extra speed saved me ??

Can someone spell out some of the benefits of the faster oz loads please ? DO they offer any greater margin for shooter error in leading birds ? I use them for sporting FITASC type targets and DTL trap.

Cheers

DUH

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I am a believer in speed for the targets you describe. For a target crossing at 60fps and 40 yards distant, you need 8.5' of lead for 8s@1250fps, and 7.8' for 1400fps. That's a touch more than 8" difference. Maybe that did it, or maybe not.

I shoot better with faster shells. It's a psychological thing. The difference between bang.....break and bang...break is noticeable and my brain likes the more direct connection a fast shell gives.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I second the faster loads. I consistently shoot better scores with the faster loads, especially the greater distances such as handicap or games like scrap. Jackie B.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe it corrected your vertical POI. HMB

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. Once we get done with the charts and graphs and countless testamonials.. A box of Sporting Clay shells is ???? 1300 fps or more... A box of Bunker 24 gram shells is 1325 fps or more.. So.. Both styles of shooting..it would seem to me..like faster shells.. Both have the long range crossers in the equasion... Now.. ATA does not have a long range crosser...even from the 27.. the hardest target will be inside of a 22 degree going away.. The fast shell is much less of a help here than in the other 2 styles of shooting..but still provides me much help.. As I've said before.. I need pull..break not pull...................................break as a slow shell provides.. Now.. this will be answered by the graphs and charts..and pages of math that says a human can't tell the difference...I know we can.. Period.. All Good.. Mike

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The difference is negligible considering the size pellets used in trap loads, the rates at which air resistance slows them and the minute amounts of energy they've retained when they arrive at the target.

At 35-45 yards these pellets have lost more than half their original velocity at point of impact and the faster ones have lost more than the slower ones. If you were talking about pellets size 4 and larger the answer would be different. With trap loads, any difference you see is due to factors other than the rated velocity of the load.

MK

7. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

TOF, or time of flight, and energy.

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

The first Lyman reloading book I bought back in the early 90's has a great chart on shot speed, loss of speed, time of flight and retained energy of all the popular shot sizes.

When I figured out that I always miss in 'feet', and speed only gained me 'inches' I stopped wasting powder and gave my shoulder a break with lighter and slower loads. This revelation also gave me the incentive to learn how and when to use all the shotgun-lead techniques. That's made the most difference in my shooting.

It all comes down to personal preference. If you believe that you need it, then you do.........

Kip

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

downunderhunter, The main problem with going faster,faster, and still faster is the recoil. You need to shoot a shell that does not recoil to hard for you shot after shot after shot. To much recoil with bring on bad things to your shooting, and will soon kill any advanages you find with a faster shell. So It is a balance. A 1150 fps shell works great to about 35-40 yards, 1200 fps works great from 40-60 yards or so, and 1250 fps works great beyond that. Now this is for a standard 108 mm. target. Not some of the thick edge targets you find on the sporting clays targets from time to time. These targets do require abit more energy to break. Even ZZT says its a 8 inch lead difference in a 40 yard shoot with a extra fast target, a 12 ga. throws a 30 inch pattern and I have a hard time shooting a lead difference of 8 inches at a 40 yard target, I'll notice a one foot difference Yes, but 6 inchs or less No. So shoot a shell that you find comfortable to shoot and find the correct lead and just shoot it. Its OK to have a slight delay in your taget breaking if its OK with your head. Its a highly mental game anyway. Keep it simple and just shoot it. We shoot Miss & Outs with 1200 fps shells (club supplies) so you have to shoot that shell at trap targets from the 30 yard line at some extreme angles by the walls between the fields. When a well placed shot hits the target, it explodes into pieces, so there is plenty of energy in that load at a standard target at 60 yards out. So keep your head on the gun with lighter target loads and you'll break more targets. Now find your balance and break-em all. Jeff

10. DOWN UNDER HUNTER

DOWN UNDER HUNTER TS Member

That all makes sense guys.

Just never heard what if any benefits there were before. As with all things it's mind over matter sometimes !

DUH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.