1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bending SX-1 barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Anyone ever bend a SX-1 barrel? 28" full choke barrel, which shot 5" to the left @ 20 yards. We have bent the barrel and rib so it shoots dead on. Will it stay there?

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

This is not a answer to your question but another question, what did you do to bend it where it needed to be? I have bent tubing in the past and we always filled it with sand packed tightly to keep the sides from collapsing, I realize you didnt do that much but just curious, also did you use anykind of straight edge to see how much it was bent before you worked on it? thanks!

3. Setterman

He just put that baby in a vice and pulled on it. It didn't crinkle/kink anything. We thought the rib would pop loose, but it didn't.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is very possible that the barrel has a memory and when it gets hot it might start to walk. HMB

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you put it back in the vice and go just a tiny bit farther - that is, "over-correct" it just a tad, then bend it back to where it is now, it will stay there forever. If you don't, it will probably creep just a bit back toward where you started.

That's the way you do both connecting rods and barrels. Motordoctor will confirm this, as he has done both.

Neil

6. Setterman

Good info Neil. That makes sense.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What Neil said. You need to get a SLIGHTLY visible kink of sorts and then bend it back a bit. It will indeed stay forever. No, I don't offer this service. I've just done my own barrels and a few friends.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1312.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. Neil Winston

While I've done them a vise, Setterman, I prefer having a fulcrum to bear against. It takes a while to grow the tree just right:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

but I can apply this "green technology" to my carbon credit payment-claims.

Neil

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but here goes:

If your barrel shoots to the left and you bend it to the right, doesn't the rib also get bent to the right? Wouldn't that negate the barrel bending?

BTW, the Super-X1 barrel ribs are floating, being fastened down only at the ends.

10. Setterman

Thanks Tron. It's Tom Smith's gun/barrel. He did it yesterday, and was curious if I knew if it stay put. I didn't know, but assumed it wouldn't.

Your "barrel bender" looks like a mid-evil torture aparatus. Keep Kitty away.

Thanks, Rosey

11. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but would it be possible to bend a hi fixed rib barrel on my DB81 to shoot higher, or would the rib kink? Steve

12. Neil Winston

I see your point, Kiv-c, but in practice the POI moves. I do it at the range and test each each change off a rest at 13 yards;

Some barrels are very hard to bend, Berettas most of all. Midway are Perazzis but I found M32's so easily bent I was afraid to close a gun case on them with any force at all.

Neil

13. Setterman

Neil, I've seen your "Barrel Bender" more commonly used than Tron's jig. Also seen the "bag of shot slam", "picnic table twist", and the "car bumper bend".
    Tron's system is probably more controllable.

kiv, the rib is slightly "off true" now, but atleast it shoots straight. The barrel was worthless before this exercise.

14. Neil Winston

I would not consider a DB81 a candidate for an an up-bend, Steve, both from considerations of kinks and more especially strength. Remember, it's a "bridge" and they are designed to not bend. Do it with the comb or an add-on rib.

Neil

15. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Neil, Do you suppose it's because there is enough "slop" between the posts and the floating rib that prevents the rib from getting bent along with the barrel? Just a thought...

I've no doubt that it works, as I saw a fellow at the club I used to shoot at many years ago do it several times. His name was Alan Degner, and I think he did it mostly to see the look on the owner's face when he'd take his Browning Broadway and stick the barrel between two tree branches and tweak it!

Kiv

16. Neil Winston

No, the rib moves right along with it, Kiv. Almost all Beretta 303 barrels came from the factory with the slight left curve, enough that you could see it looking down the gun. And they shot left too. Not a lot, but left nevertheless. A quick trip to a forked tree set them right whereupon they both looked and shot straight.

Shooters of Alan Degner's generation were far more willing to get a gun right rather than putting up with clear faults. They had the right idea. As Kay Ohye says to a student who won't get the comb-height where it belongs "because it's such a pretty piece of wood,:"What are you doing, shooting it for resale?"

Neil

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Setterman, Should you need a bender like Tron's to do something, give me a shout. I've got one new in the box I bought a few years ago on here in haste when I found I couldn't do Neil's 13 yds. off hand. I had a jerk to the left from the jerk holding the gun and was convinced the barrel was shooting sideways. LOL. While it was in the mail to me I reread Neil's thoughts and found I could shoot reasonably straight from a rest. BTW. The barrels I got from you look straight, should I re-check them? Hope all is well, Bob

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve..... Yes, you can bend your DB barrel. I had a DB single that had been bent to shoot 125% high at 40 yards!.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Trap2, RickN thanks for the info. just looking for an alternative to having the comb jacked WAY up to get it to shoot 9in high at 13yds. thanks again steve

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

We some times try to straighten shafts in a 75 ton dake hyd. press, I put the shaft between v-blocks and put a dial indicator under the shaft, usually have to push it several thousands past center line and let it spring back, btw, how did the barrel get bent to start with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.