1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bending a Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How long must the stock have pressure applied for it to bend? Speaking in number of days, approximately? W/O Heat.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Gary, I'm no expert but I don't think bending a stock without heat is recommended due to a potential for cracking.

I recently had one of my stocks bent by Allem's Guncraft. They placed the receiver in a padded vice and allowed hot oil to flow over the wrist area for several hours, then started applying pressure on the side of the butt area. It takes a skilled eye to accurately judge how much bending a particular piece of wood will tolerate before cracking becomes a risk. The more figured the wrist area, the less bending is a wise idea. Straight unfigured grain in that area is best for bending.

The person doing the bending also has to know how much cast you want and be able to accurately guesstimate how much the wood will relax back after the pressure is removed; then he knows how far to bend it. I wanted a quarter-inch of cast with more being okay, so Mike Allem bent my stock 5/8". The wood is then allowed to cool for a few hours before the pressure is removed from it. My stock relaxed 1/4", so I netted 3/8". I dropped my gun off at Allem's and received a call that it was ready the next day.

From what I learned about the process, I would not recommend bending your own stock.

Ed

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have bent stocks using a heat lamp, a rag and motor oil. I clamp the action end of the stock (while it is still on ths action)to the edge of a bench with the wrist to butt hanging off the bench. I wrap the wrist with a narrow piece of terry cloth which I soak with motor oil. I place a heat lamp near the wrist and suspend a weight from the butt. I soak the rag several times a day and check the degree of bend. In a couple of days I can bend a stock quite a bit. I have never had one break notr have I damaged the finish.

CAUTION! Do not overheat the oil to the point of starting a fire. That is why I use clean motor oil which has a very high flash point.

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have bent stocks using a heat lamp, a rag and motor oil. I clamp the action end of the stock (while it is still on ths action)to the edge of a bench with the wrist to butt hanging off the bench. I wrap the wrist with a narrow piece of terry cloth which I soak with motor oil. I place a heat lamp near the wrist and suspend a weight from the butt. I soak the rag several times a day and check the degree of bend. In a couple of days I can bend a stock quite a bit. I have never had one break notr have I damaged the finish.

CAUTION! Do not overheat the oil to the point of starting a fire. That is why I use clean motor oil which has a very high flash point.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Gary:
    Listen to these two shooters as they do know what they are talking about.
    Steve Balistreri

6. overbored

overbored Member

33 days no more no less. Please report back and let us know how it worked out.

Hugh

7. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Instructions and images above

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.