1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

%%%%%BENDING A STOCK- EXPERIENCES APPRECIATE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by august, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. august

august TS Member

This is one stock mod our shop does not do and frankly I have always been concerned about cracking a stock or it moving back later on. I WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING FROM THOSE WHO DO IT OR HAVE HAD IT ACTUALLY DONE and their experiences with it. Thank you

August Crocker
    Sportsman's Finest

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have bent a few and was not pleased. Mine sprang back about 2/3 of the way after a couple of months. Am adjustable comb is a better approach in my opinion.

Pat Ireland

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've done hundreds of them and have never had one "GO BACK".

Ed Yanchok

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You might build a steam box. I have done that when I use to build boats. Have a fixture ready when the part comes out of the box (maybe 30-60 min.), put it under pressure, contune to apply pressure until the part is as you want it, and let it dry in the fixture for severial days. It won't spring back.

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Did anyone read the post from Ed Y ???????

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

On tanged guns with a stock bolt, you can "cheat" the inletting to get an extra 1/4" of cast with no problem. While at the Grand quite a few years ago, one of the Krieghoff gunsmiths showed me this trick.

On those without a stock bolt, I WET-STEAM and bend. Using true steam will destroy the bond between the fibers. Once the stock is bent, I cool it quickly while still fixtured with a fan. With the fixture I have, I can bend guns without sock bolts for cast and comb height.

The discussion for using steam, mineral oil, or just heat lamps is never ending. I have used the other two methods, but....on occassion, some stock finishes do not like any kind of heat, they'll blister instantly. And using the mineral oil, you're screwed if you want to use some type of poly, or clear coat later on. You'll need to stick with an oil finish.

Doug Braker

7. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I had Joe Hollingsworth bend one of mine for cast off. I told him how much I wanted it changed and he sent it back dead nuts what I asked for. It's in a box now since I ended up going with a PFS, so I have no idea if it sprung back or not.

LMS

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Jim Greenwood-Augusta, Kansas---316-775-0161. Call him and ask. GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.