1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bending a Shotgun Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapmanjohn, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

What is the best method to bend a ribbed shotgun barrel in order to raise the point of impact? (Remington 870 or 1100) Brownells did sell a B-Square Barrel Press but they are no longer manufactured. Any ideas? What are your techniques? If anyone has a barrel press they would like to sell I would be willing to purchase it.

Thanks,

John

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Before you go bending the barrel, have you looked at ribs or adjustable comb?

3. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hi Trim Tab, Yes I have plenty of adjustable comb stocks and ribs. It's wintertime and I'm just in experimental mode now!

Thanks,

John

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Receiver for a trailer hitch worked for me. Just be careful you don't dent the rib. I put a hunk of wood on the rib to spread the contact area. A little goes a long way. I think Neil Winston has a barrel bender growing in his back yard, shaped like this--Y-- Good luck

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Hey John,

Why not try bending the spring tube that extends into the stock up a tad at a time in a similar way as you did when you bent my son's 1100 to the side to center it up laterally?

Why wouldn't it work for up and down also?

Hope all is well my friend.

Guy Babin

6. folothru

folothru Member

hey before you try bending a barrel why dont you put a shim in between the spacer and the stock . beretta has a system on the 391 models that by using different configurations allows you to shoot left right //high, low do not use too thick of a shim this will a long way .002 is a lot at 30 yds

7. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Guy, I did that to your son's gun because he did not have an adjustable comb. Yes, I can change the POI per your suggestion but in this case I want to raise the POI significantly without having my stock jacked up too high. Trust me fellas, I have changed the POI many different ways on an 1100. However, I have not changed the POI by bending a barrel. It's an experiment and I only want to accomplish it this time by bending a barrel. I currently have 10 Remington 1100 barrels all of which shoot about 50/50 so I think I can try this experiment with one of them so please humor me. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

John

8. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey RickN, Did the POI change stay? What size C clamp did you use? Did the Rib kink? Did you put something between the rib and the clamp, i.e. a pad or sponge to keep from marring the rib etc. Do you have a photo you can post as to your exact method. Your method sounds as though it may be the first I would like to try.

Thanks,

John

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've seen the safety fences between skeet fields used. And tree branches. And just a good whack on the ground. The best I saw was the front tire of a pickup truck with a bag of shot to cushion the end of the barrel.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

John...give your barrel to Earl Bangs..it will come back bent for sure!...Earl sure could wallop those things

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have a k-80 Vandalia rib bbl that shot 2-3" to the left---took it to Ottsville and told them it shoots to the left---They laughed at me but said they would check it out--They have a range in the cellar and took it down--Came up and said I was right---be back soon---Came back and bbl is right on.
    What do you think they did?That was 5 yrs ago and bbl is still right on---Now I know what the old guys did when their bbl was not quite on---Bend it---SJB---

12. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Calvin, Earl is a great trapshooter, and a friend. Earl also has a lot of funny stories from his days as a musician. If you ever get a chance, listen to them; he will have you in stitches! I know he has a lot of experience bending barrels but I'm trying to use a more incremental method.

Thanks,

John

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I like a good Y in a tree but anything will work. The tree will cushion (by nature) negative effects that other potential items might inflict. When free hand bending it is very important to pull straight so as to not produce a sidewinder. A vice and two blocks of wood works well for an at home application.

The barrel bender devices are around and for sale. I would post a note on here. They weren't expensive. You might even try a search in the archives as there was one last fall that I never saw sell.

The ones telling you beware of bending a rib with this procedure are correct in that you will most likely. But thats exactly what I wanted to happen inorder to help hold in place. Infact some of the barrels may have 4 or 5 kinks inorder to keep them inplace longer. MD12's I've done seemed prone to it as well as the early Perazzi's.

As the one gentleman stated in regards to bending for most effect just behind the choke, this is the most dramatic area so be careful. Alittle does alot.

14. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Thanks for the advice Martin. I would like to shoot this season with a stock Remington 1100. Just to see what happens. It appears that I will not be competitive trying to shoot at 27 yards with at 50/50 barrel. I can get away with it though at 16 yards. When I first started shooting trap back in 1987 I was intrigued with Leo Harrison shooting an 1100. I would like to shoot a stock one as he did back then just for the challenge.

I would like to hear any Leo Harrison stories from that time period when he shot his 1100's. I'm sure they would be interesting. (Perhaps this should be a separate thread!)

Hit 'em hard,

John

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John..... True story: I took a DB81 34" single to Giacomo at the Golden West Grand that was shooting about 2" low at 13 yards. Told Giacomo what was going on and he asked me where I wanted it to shoot. I told him 3" high at 13 yards. He had me go out and shoot 2 patterns at 13 yards like it was and return to him. I showed him the patterns I had shot and he said yes it was indeed shooting low. He had a steel work bench in his trailer at the GWG that had a stack of about 100 sheets of emery cloth on it. He turned the stack over so the smooth side of the sheets were facing up. He then grabbed the barrel by the chamber end with both hands and whacked the barrel about 4 times really hard. He asked me to go pattern it again at 13 yards. I did so and brought it back to him. It was now shooting almost dead on. He took the barrel and did the same thing again and told me to go pattern it again. I did, and it patterned about 2" high at 13 yards. I showed him the patterns and he took the barrel and just firmly hit it on the stack of emery cloth about 2 more times. He said to go pattern it again, This time, it was right at 3" high. I asked him if it would return to its original set and he told me that once it was bent like that it would hold the bend forever. He said the only barrels that would go back to the original set were barrels with no ribs, or barrels that had ribs that were soft soldered on. A rib that has been silver soldered will not return. He must have known what he was doing. That was over 5 years ago and that barrel is still 3" high at 13 yards..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Dan, Can you see an actual bend in DB 81 barrel? It would be nice if I can change the POI without a noticeable bend in the barrel.
    Hit 'em hard,
    John

17. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have a used 110 trap barrel, fixed choke, that was shooting a full pattern low and left at 30 yards. Sighting down the rings inside the barrel, it was apparrent that the barrel had been previously bent, so my project was to bend it back. I inserted a large steel tapered rod that fit snugly down into the end of the barrel, protruding about 6 inches out the end. I stuck the protruding end of the rod into the receiver hitch of my pickup and gave the barrel a couple good reefs, up and right, until I could feel it flex. I then put it back on the gun and patterned it again. After a couple attempts, it was shooting true. The rib stayed attached. I am not a professional gunsmith and take no responsibility if you screw up your barrel. Mine was just sitting in the closet until I fixed it, so my attempt was worth the risk. Mark

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

John, you won't get a noticeable change in POI and not be able to see it while looking down the side of the barrel. Just comes with the procedure. It will however be less noticeable if doing in the center and gradual verses at the end and radical.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have an appointment at Krieghoff on Monday. #1 son says his k-80 bbl. shoots too low and needs more upward adjustment. Glen Hunting and I were masters at bending K-80 barrels back in the old days!!

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

john...was with Earl when he bent one at Mt Airy for Greg Mizapalko..it was a painful experience to watch as a new TMX barrel hit the tire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bend shotgun barrel
bending a shotgun barrel

bending shotgun barrel

bent shotgun barrel

how to bend a shotgun barrel

how to bend shotgun barrel
how to straighten a shotgun barrel
shotgun barrel bending