1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bending a gun to shoot straight - photos (Winston)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I have had a like-new Ithaca-era MX-8 single for seven years and POI- and pattern-tested it many times and it’s shot a little to the left all that time. This is typical not just of Perazzis, of course, but shotguns in general. Many don’t shoot straight. Dr. Jones' POA calculator (above) showed me just how unsatisfactory was a three-inch to-the-side deviation at 40 yards (the projection of one-inch to the side at 13 yards).

I’m trying to get used to an MX-2000 and wanted to have an “old time” good shooter to compare it with, so it was time to slap this one into shape. I suppose many here would suggest moving the comb over and it does in fact have one of the last Gregg Hissem combs, but that’s never made any sense to me. I would be looking crooked down the gun and as I went for the shot, I’m sure I’d move my head over to look down the gun as was intended.

So I just bent it until it shot straight, and I could still look straight down it. It couldn’t be easier and took maybe ten minutes to turn this gun into a potential shooter.

Here’s the target frame:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

and here the evidence:

Narrative:

Shot 1, an inch left, typical of this gun.

Shot 2. Straight, but not all shots are correct. That’s why you take a lot of shots over days before you do anything.

Shot 3, an inch left, typical of this gun.

Shot 4, an inch left, typical of this gun.

Shot 5, after bending to the right. Too far, that's for sure.

Shot 6, after bending back to the left, still too far to right.

Shot 7, confirmation of shot 6.

Shot 8, after bending more back to the left, just right after seven years of shooting crooked.

Shot 9, confirmation of shot 8.

Of course, I’ll retest many times as I am down at the pattern board with other projects just to make sure, tweak it a bit if called for.

Oh yes, I used a precision jig for the bending. That’s the only cost of the whole project – getting it re-surveyed and re-certified each spring to account for changes.

The whole thing:

and where the action takes place:

Really, that’s all there is to it.

Neil

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil, Just another thing for us shooters who mis targets to think about. Did you really bend a Perfectly good Mx barrel? LOL

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Neil,

Could you give the tree a break and just use your hitch receiver. Lol.

ss

4. Neil Winston

Yes indeed, Earl. Now it matches its LNIB appearance with equally-good shooting. Before it was a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Neil

5. smsnyder

Now look what you did.( Opened a can of worms.) Hundreds of trapguns going back because they mis targets. Bent barrels. Any pictures on barrel bending?

6. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Do you bend it right in the center of the barrel? What, if anything, do you do to keep from popping the rib (or the monoblock) off?

EE

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

EE,

Trying to pop open the Quantico blow-up can of worms again, are we?

8. EE

EE Banned User Banned

No, just curious.

EE

9. smsnyder

Yea, when you mis a bunch of targets your barrel my be bent. How nice. LOL

10. Neil Winston

EE, I put the "fulcrum" a ways forward of the middle of the barrel I guess. You need the mechanical advantage of closely-placed force points because barrels are tough. I keep the rib from popping off with "abracadabra" and two "Shazams!" It's worked so far.

Neil

11. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hou do you kinow the rib was not off and at fault?
    dave

12. Neil Winston

Sometimes the rib _is_ off, Dave,

But the cure is the same. I makes no difference what the cause is, or so it seems to me.

Neil

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So would cryro-treatment straighten it back out?

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The famous Stan Baker inadvertantly bent the barrel of an 1100 when he was installing a wire to divert ejecting hulls. I soon learned to shoot the gun to the side of the target to make the target smoke. My barber need a trapgun and he bought the Stan Baker special for 10 haicuts and I moved on. "And that's the way it was."

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Earl, you're too much. Not being the tite wad Neil is, when I first tried shooting my K-80 for POI, I knew that I was a good enough shooter that I didn't need to use a rest. Wish that I still had the sheet, everything was left. As my good fortune would have it, within a day or two some one posted a barrel bender for sale on here while the problem was still fresh in my demented mind. I grabbed it in a hurry before somebody stole it out from under me, good guy from Washington state. Needless to say while it was in shipping I decided to try again from a rest. Wow, they can build them straight in Germany. My barrel bender sits in my basement in the shipping box, but SOME DAY it'll be there when I need it.

Thanks for the laugh and the memories, Bob

BTW Earl-- I think I screwed up on the Infinity, not the gun, but that's another story that I'm not publishing.

16. smsnyder

I think Neil does a great job. Makes you think how many barrels out there are really bent. Wonder if manufactures check that? Perazzi is suppost to be a high grade gun but Neils gun had a bent barrel. Wondering.

17. Neil Winston

Earl, some are simply bent from the factory. Beretta 303's, for example, came with barrels with a clear bend to the left you couldn't miss if you just looked down the rib. They shot left too.

Barrels are generally bent to be straight at the factory. I'm not at all certain about this, but I often think that it takes some shooting for a barrel to "settle in" and assume its final POI. Maybe I'm dreaming. But I've had a large enough number of factory barrels that did not shoot straight until they look bent by "reading the rings" to think that whatever a factory may do to ensure straight shooting might not "work" because of future changes.

Neil

18. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Interesting that right handed shooters guns all seem to shoot to the left and all left handed shooters guns seem to shoot to the right. Chubby cheeks? Narrow pupilary distance? Move the adjustable comb or Bend the stock if it's not too long.

Ed Yanchok

19. Neil Winston

Isn't it a lot more complicated, slower, and more expensive to bend the stock than the barrel, Ed? And don't you end up looking down the barrel crooked, which is what I am trying to avoid in the first place?

I'm looking down the gun straight already. Why would I change that?

Neil

20. Cooter

Cooter Member

Neil,A couple of questions,at what distance do you pattern the gun,do you bench rest it and does the poi stay put or does it move over time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.