1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench (Shooting) Rest

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

I want to find the POI of my shotgun. What is the best bench rest on the market to use? If you go to a web site like Cabela's they sell a bazilion different kinds. Which one in your opinion is the easiest to use and works the best?

Thanks
    SS

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Old shot bags filled with sand make great rests. Fill a few all the way and a few about 60% full so you can adjust them to fit the gun you are testing. HMB

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use the same as HMB and they work great. I've got about a dozen filled to different sizes and you can make a good rest that way.---Matt

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I went to the 100 yard range when the rifle shooters are there. They really helped me out getting my gun firmly mounted on a nice rest and heavy bench. One riffle shooter has all the laser bore sight inserts you can think of. He took me for a box of 12gauge shells to use his set up. All I found out is that my barrels shoot true. What was really interesting is finding the chokes that where not shooting in the same direction. Of course I got a good laugh out of these guys when I asked them to help me with a POA/POI with "birdshot". All in all I learned a lot. Especially when trying to get my slug barrel sighted in.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I shoot with an old timer who will not shoot anything other than a fixed choke barrel citing the fact that different chokes make guns shoot different directions.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you take a short piece of 4x4 and fasten 2 8-10" square pieces on the end, slightly off center, you will have a nice cheap rest. Using a shot bag filled with sand on this works fine. The off center part makes it so you can adjust the height. Make the 4x4 just long enough to accomodate the shot bag.

HM

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

And if you're dyslexic with wood.........(doesn't everyone have one of these laying about?)

HM

8. grntitan

HM--That is an excellent idea that i just stole. I can't say the same for the wallpaper though.LOL I'm sorry that was very rude of me.---Matt

9. shootsome

shootsome Member

Thanks guys, for all the great ideas.

SS

10. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

I use a jack like halfmile two quick clamps and 5ft step ladder like to shoot standing up have old lawn mower wheel welded to jack for easer adjustment use it with rifle and shotgun

11. Robb

Robb Member

Use clean wheat in shot bags. Seed wheat is dry and clean. Lighter than sand without the dust.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Spent primers in shot bags with dry sand added.

13. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I fill my shot bags with kitty litter, not as heavy as sand...just try to not get them too wet!

14. grntitan

The weight of the bags is the point. If i wanted light weight i'd use toilet paper in 'em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.