1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Benadryl allergy?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trappermike, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

We have yellow jackets at my club. We have put up several traps, but they are still there. One of our members recently got stung and another member mentioned how allergic he was to stings. I purchased some melt in your mouth Benadryl to leave at the club for such an instance. I know it is not an epi-pen, but it is non-prescription. One of the officers threw it away as he was concerned about liability if someone got it and was allergic to Benadryl. Can you be allergic to anti-allergy medicine? Any information from someone like an allergist would be appreciated.

BTW, I bought some more but keep it in my truck.

Thanks, Mike

2. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

Hello Mike,

It is possible for someone to be allergic to Diphenhydramine hydrochloride (Benadryl). If they do experience an allergic reaction it is VERY rare and uncommon however it can happen. If someone is allergic the most common reaction is they break out into severe hives. It is VERY uncommon however. There is a list of side effects a mile long related to Benadryl but the key symptom of allergic reaction is severe hives. Keep in mind people can be allergic to most anything. However Benadryl should be kept on hand in your first aid kit. I can guarantee it will help a lot more then it would hurt!

Everett F. Haley, Jr. R.N.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The traps will attract more Yellow Jackets than they will "trap". Get rid of them. Fred

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I call BS!!! Keep the benedryl and give it to anyone who needs it. They might have a reaction to it but they will STILL BE ALIVE. Tell that officer to butt out - take card of your friends!

I have seen first hand the effect of a sting reaction and it a

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I call BS!!! Keep the benedryl and give it to anyone who needs it. They might have a reaction to it but they will STILL BE ALIVE. Tell that officer to butt out - take card of your friends!

I have seen first hand the effect of a sting reaction and it ain't pretty.

6. happy

happy Member

I had a reaction to Benydryl and most Dr.s don't realize it happens. only one medical professional knew about the reactions to the Benedryl.

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have seen Benadryl allergies before. You can become allergic to anything. Before I give someone a medication I try to ask that big question, " Are you allergic to anything or are you allergic to this medication".

Charlie Becknell, MD

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

OH NO don't give them Benadryl......as their throat closes up and they turn blue....jeesh

9. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I had a friend that was allergic or had bad reactions to the RED DYE in medicine and foodstuffs, so for him, no typical cough syrups, etc.

They do make a DYE-FREE version of the children's liquid that I have seen over at wallyworld and TARGET.

Another tip that I found, is that in a pinch you can chew the capsule (or pill, I suppose) to get an immediate absorption through the mouth (just like a nitroglycerine pill under the tongue) and don't need to wait for a swallowed pill/capsule to react. The instant the entire capsule contents enter the mouth, a slight numbing sensation can be expected. Then you can spit out the dye-impregnated but otherwise now-inert capsule. That should be a fast way to ward off anaphylaxis this side of the emergency "EpiPen".

See the website posted: http://www.anaphylaxis.com/

Hope that helps. Kirby

http://theshotgunshop.net

10. oz

oz Active Member

tell the person who is allergic to get to an allergist asap. they have bee shots that really work, and he can give him a scrip for epi-pen. oz

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Some Seven insecticde mixed rather strongly will take care of the yellow jackets. If you don't want to spray for them then hang some garlic around where you are having trouble with them. Get rid of the traps is also a good idea they draw the bees in from a distance just like the rip off Japanese beetle traps do. I have placed cut fruit some distance from my patio to lure them away also. Cantalope works great and you can dust it with fly bait and kill them at the same time.Bill

12. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I agree 100 % with both Haley & Becknell.
    Joe Jordan,Pharmacist

13. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

My wife is allergic to Benadryl. She breaks out in hives. There are other anti-histamines that are over the counter that work for her. Bruce

14. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Charlie have you seen allergic reactions to benadryl or side effects?
    I categorize the difference as life threatening to nuisance.
    Robert CRNA

15. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

People allergic to diphenhydramine HCL may want to try CLARINEX (desloratadine). For me, it works far better for insect stings that Benedryl and will not induce drowsiness.

Andy Moreland

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

My wife is violently alergic to Benadryl. She cannot take it at all. She gets hives, fever, and has trouble breathing. As far as keeping it around. There are ractions to MANY meds. The best solution is always imediate meical attention by a trained medical professional.

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Rick,
    I diagnosed a a similar problem in a baby when I was a medical student MANY years ago. Compazine can cause some very unusal side effects which can be reversed many times with Benadryl.

Robert,
    I believe the descriptions above with urticarial reactions would qualify as allergic. I had a case in residency where a lady had an allergic contact dermatits to poison ivy and used topical Benadryl. Every time she took oral Benadryl she exacerbated her rash. She was given many rounds of prednisone and continued taking Benadryl. I stopped her Benadryl and she resolved. She took Nyquil, which cross reacts with Benadryl, and her rash recurred. As a dermatologist I see all sorts of unusual drug reactions.

Charlie

18. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Rick,
    You wife had what is one of the more common side effects from Compazine. It's called EPS<extrapyramidal symptoms>. Most patients when they get this & those around them think the patiet is going to their great reward. Good old Benadryl takes care of it. No blood tests,etc. needed to diagnose & treat.
    I haven't seen you or Bill in quite awhile.
    JJJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.